Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fit to eat ?

Fit to eat ?

I shot a young buck this weekend, it look fine and was acting normal before the shot.
    When I came to grallouch the deer it seem thin, I then noticed
    It was infested with thousands( and I mean thousands) of ticks!
    I have never seem a deer with so many! 2-3 hundred on it's head
    And face alone! Do you think this deer would still be safe to eat ?

Thanks
    Rich

I wouldn't risk it but the dogs would.... the odd tick is normal but the disease risk would certainly stop me from eating or allowing it to be used... just me.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I wouldn't risk it but the dogs would.... the odd tick is normal but the disease risk would certainly stop me from eating or allowing it to be used... just me.
    No, not just you.... I'd be reluctant too although the ticks obviously thought it was ok to eat.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

If the deer seemed quite normal before the shot and your inspection of the lymph nodes showed no abnormalities, then I would have no problem eating it.
    I have found that young bucks in some areas where the deer population is quite high, would often have a high tick burden in the spring.

Cheers
    OT

Feed it to your in laws, win win situation that way really!

Hate ticks if infestation was that bad uggh.how did you bring yorself to handle it.I have in the past seen them havig a lot on the head but thousands.waste or not I think if it were me it would be left out of sight or be fox bait

Quote Originally Posted by Old tikka View Post
    If the deer seemed quite normal before the shot and your inspection of the lymph nodes showed no abnormalities, then I would have no problem eating it.
    I have found that young bucks in some areas where the deer population is quite high, would often have a high tick burden in the spring.

Cheers
    OT
    +1. Not an entirely uncommon occurance in some areas. Hang it above your deer tray filled with water. When skinning these horrible ones, I do it in short sleeves to prevent migration onto my clothes allowing the evil things to get in elsewhere. I will then do it as Fast as I can stopping regularly to see if there are any working their way up my arm. I find I don't need a radio or mp3 when doing this job as the very high volume screaming and extremely foul language keep me from getting bored.

B.

PS Get an Otom tick remover if you don't already have one.
    Last edited by Bernie; 04-05-2011 at 23:11.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    What disease risk?
    one tick, or one thousand, what's the difference?
    No serious disease issue at all. The animal maybe suffering from the burden, but no reason it shouldn't be fit for human consumption.
    MS

MS have you met somone who really had bad case of lymes me !!!!
    agree with second statement