Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't shoot the donor.....

Thumbs up Don't shoot the donor.....

A few weeks back I posted about fast twists in 22/250 etc. Since getting the semi custom 260rem a few years ago, I have had a real itch to get a 22CF in a near identical configuration to match. Problem was I wanted to do this on a Sako 75 and these can be pricey just for a donor action. Long story short I found what I thought was a pretty rough 75 in 22/250, so I bought it for around 600 and sent it to my RFD. I had intended just to ship it directly to Steve Kershaw and not even look at it. However, the RFD said he thought the rifle was actually not too bad, I had a look and agreed. The rifle was filthy, it looked like it had been owned by a diesel fitter who never washed his hands. The rifle was covered in oil and grease. Also, someone had made a poor job of cutting and threading for a mod. We agreed I would risk a 100 on it. It was sent over to Steve Kershaw for the old thread to be removed and the barrel was cut to 20" and rethreaded and recrowned 15x1 spigot.

I got the rifle home a couple of weeks ago. First thing I did was strip it down and soak it in a bath of soapy water. I scrubbed it with a nylon cleaning pad. It came up immaculate. It looks like new and the bore seems very good.

This is after the clean up:

I wanted to shoot some 52gr A-Max's just for a change. Load development consisted of running a short ladder of charges up to book max with Benchmark. 33.7gr looked promising, I started with the bullet at one diameter into the case and worked down, within a few groups, the size shrank radically:

First this:

Then this:

Over five three shot groups the worst was .45", average around .35".

I was going to write this rifle off for parts. I think the moral is not to discount a rifle just it looks a little rough. I have less than 750 invested in this gun, and it shoots as well as I can shoot, and better. It might get a McMillan though....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Nicely done Brian! I think that just might be a keeper!

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Brian - bet you're glad you didn't break that now! Out of curiosity, what does seating "the bullet at one diameter into the case" mean?

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    ..... Out of curiosity, what does seating "the bullet at one diameter into the case" mean?

Andrew
    When trying to establish a max OAL, I could not get the bullet near the lands, throat is too long. So basically I picked a arbitrary maximum length. I set the 224" bullet .224" down into the case, purely as a starting point. I am not claiming any science for this, but it should keep the bullet straight.
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    When trying to establish a max OAL, I could not get the bullet near the lands, throat is too long. So basically I picked a arbitrary maximum length. I set the 224" bullet .224" down into the case, purely as a starting point. I am not claiming any science for this, but it should keep the bullet straight.
    Very smart strategy. All this fretting about seating out the the lands is getting a little silly. As I have posted in the past, the criteria for seating bullets in the past was seating depth, not OAL, because it had a profound influence on performance. It sounds like I'm talking about the same thing but it isn't. The bullet base and parallel sides are usually an absolute, whereas ogive dimensions vary. Neck tension is a very much overlooked reloading tool... until someone notices the lack of it.~Muir

PS: Sweet revival, by the way!
    Last edited by Muir; 04-05-2011 at 19:06.

Brian,
    Looks like you've got a good 'un there....and thanks for putting me onto Steve Kershaw last year when he sorted out a major problem for me quickly and and a very reasonable cost.
    ATB,
    M68.

Brian that does look a good piece of kit. I have one in .243 and it is capable of remarkable accuracy. As a matter of interest is your custom more accurate.

Good call Brian.... It really shoots well.

BTW McM are doing "Spring Specials" thru the 24hourcampfire site at present.... reasonable discount on normal prices, and you'd have it by the end of the summer.

Best

P

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    .... As a matter of interest is your custom more accurate.

Grant I can't honestly say at this point which is more accurate.

The 260 is really consistent. It shoots everything to the same POI, with good loads of hunting bullets all going easily sub 1/2". Zero never moves, and it shoots the same with two different mods, or no mod, bipod on or off etc. I just have complete faith in it. What I have not done is much load development with match bullets. I have had a quick play with some 108gr Scenar which look like they will go .3" or there abouts, but I have not proven the load to be repeatable yet. That is the next project.

I have only seriously used the 52gr A-Max in this 22/250. I have had a quick go with some ammo I had loaded for the Blaser barrel with 50gr NBT's and 55gr SPBT's, both went sub .7" for 5 shots, so I have no doubt I can make these work also.

I set out with this to come up with a rifle which was short and handy and an absolutely reliable fox gun. This should do the trick. To be fair, no one has the right to expect this sort of accuracy from a second hand factory rifle, particularly in a cal like 22/250, but it is nice when it works out.
    Brian.

Thanks for the clarification Brian, as Muir says, a good starting strategy.

Regarding Muir's comment about neck tension, he's probably right, but as far as I know there's no (easy) way of measuring this. It's all rather subjective when seating a bullet, until it gets so loose if falls in (and out, maybe) or you can move it by hand!

Andrew