Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with pup

help with pup

hi, i,m looking after a pup for a mate of mine sort of long term. the problem is the pup eats it,s own poop i have tried a few different things but none seem to work, i hear that this is common in dogs but i find it adisgusting habit, any tips to help stop this much appreciated. thanks the scudd

What do you feed it? Have you tried changing feeds?

Ive noticed my terriers do this when I feed them Wilsons feed
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

hi i,m feeding hills science plan puppy, iv,e tried giving her some of my own dogs meal but it don,t seem to make any difference. i got some tablets from the vet that are supposed to help but still no joy. i fed her this evening when i got in from work and went to let her out for a run about 10 minutes later and i caught her at it again, dont know what to try next

I dont mean to be funny but have you tried basic training ie keep the dog on a lead and prevent the dog from doing it and reward her when she gets things right, may take some time but should work eventually !

Quote Originally Posted by the scudd View Post
    hi i,m feeding hills science plan puppy, iv,e tried giving her some of my own dogs meal but it don,t seem to make any difference. i got some tablets from the vet that are supposed to help but still no joy. i fed her this evening when i got in from work and went to let her out for a run about 10 minutes later and i caught her at it again, dont know what to try next
    So you were not watching her,how do you expect to train a dog when you are not even there or concentrating,next time do not take your eyes off her and remove the poo straight away and give her a reward immediatly,if she ever tries to eat it,shake a rattle bottle ONCE,but ALWAYS finish training on a positive.

thanks for the reply, i can prevent the dog from eating it when i have her out, i keep the pen as clean as possible but from what i see as soon as she goes to the toilet she eats it.

I'm no expert on canine behaviour, but my Springer did this for quite a while. It was a rescue from a pound in Eire, and was stuck in a crate with kennel cough at this end for weeks.

To be honest, I think they go a bit stir crazy, and get all stressed and bored. They start recycling 'cos they've got nowt else to do. Now I've given it the run of the house with a massive catflap to the garden it seems to be cured.

It is normaly boredom that starts this off, then it becomes a habit, and a tricky one to stop at that.
    As said above keep run as clean as possible, try providing some toys, and to be honest I can not see what a rattle bottle is going to do in this situation.
    If you can let the pup out as much as you can so that it can go to the toilet, keep an eye on it and then call it to you so a bit of training plus taking it's mind off eating it.
    Good luck, any which way,

Nick.

I had the same problem with my GWP for a short time, she would eat the sh17e of the alpha of the 4 I have only. Apparently its quite common for pups to eat the faeces of the alpha dog. I cured mine of it using the bollocking/reward method. A firm no when she was allowed out under supervision after the alpha had emptied followed by cleaning it up then rewarding her when she left it alone.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Add pineapple to your dogs diet, it stops them eating their own crap. Also teach your pup the word 'leave' do this by getting the pup sat down and calm. Have some treats in your hand and very gently give the pup a treat and say 'take' as the pup takes the food. Do this a couple of times and then when you go to hand the pup a treat very gently say 'leave' and keep hold of the food. This will teach your dog the command 'leave' over time, then at least when you are with the pup and it starts eating crap she it will understand when you say leave ...... usually followed by... you dirty little bugger !