Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of A RED STAG HUNT

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

Cost of A RED STAG HUNT

What is a roundabout price of such guided in the UK on wild free range reasonable stags?

Accom included

Or self guided camping?

It will depend what part of the country you head for & what quality of Stag you wish to take. Here are some conservative prices - it is always possible to find cheaper deals if you go non-commercial. Consider offering a swap-hunt - Sambar/Water Buffalo etc are always a draw if you have them available.

Food & accommodation, budget 60-80 per day.

Scotland - 300-400 per day for a guided outing that normally results in a Stag that the landowner wants taken off the ground - quality is not usually too good, as you are part of the estate management plan.

Southern England (Norfolk or Devon) !50 for your guide for the day and a sliding trophy fee that is often 100 - 130 per point for NON medal animals, get into the big stuff and expect to pay 1500+ for medal grade animals.

May be a silly question, with NZ on your doorstep - why not get over to the South Island, look over a LOT of stags, take a really impressive one and probably do so for 10% of the cost of a UK trip?

Rgds

Ian

Established Poster
    For arguments sake: what would be the comparative price for a red hind stalk?

In Scotland you will have to search hard to find a days Red stag stalking for under 400 now. Much depends on the time of year as the price offered often rises near the time of the rut. This is about the first two weeks of October and many estates are now charging 500 a beast. This will be a cull stag and not as a rule a trophy animal, although it is possible to take off an old beast that carries a good head of 9 to 12 points.

Hind stalking is about 150 to 170 a day on average.

You can find Red Stag stalking cheaper, but most of the bigger estates are charging these prices.

ATB

Sikamalc

I have a few stalks left in the 2nd week in October ,we do AM and PM Stalks
    for stags to do both stalks it would cost around 350 with no trophy fee
    Solwaystalker
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    May be a silly question, with NZ on your doorstep - why not get over to the South Island, look over a LOT of stags, take a really impressive one and probably do so for 10% of the cost of a UK trip?

Rgds

Ian
    Just back a fortnight from NZ Tahr hunting,the reds hadnt come onto the roar properly when I was there so we went high for Tahr and did ok too.

In relation to a "swap" I am not so interested in paying for a deer point by point I was just interested in what sort of dough it cost in the UK. I like the idea of hunting the hills of Scotland,wild and free. Kev hopefully can help me out.
    I have lots of sambar stalking here in Vic thats basically free,well $47 bucks a year for as many as you can get.

Hi John

E-mail inbound,

ATB

Tahr

As an SD member I can let you have stags at 50 per day no trophy fees, but I am sure Kevin will sort you out.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    In Scotland you will have to search hard to find a days Red stag stalking for under 400 now. Much depends on the time of year as the price offered often rises near the time of the rut. This is about the first two weeks of October and many estates are now charging 500 a beast. This will be a cull stag and not as a rule a trophy animal, although it is possible to take off an old beast that carries a good head of 9 to 12 points.

Hind stalking is about 150 to 170 a day on average.

You can find Red Stag stalking cheaper, but most of the bigger estates are charging these prices.

ATB

Sikamalc
    +1 We are 450 +vat @20% this would be for stags up to and including 10 points anything bigger would be by arrangement. This is just to give you an idea of prices as nothing available, this season is already let.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    As an SD member I can let you have stags at 50 per day no trophy fees, but I am sure Kevin will sort you out.

John
    That is a bargain John, it must be the cheapest stag stalking in the country. Well done mate.

ATB

Tahr