Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

I quite like the idea. Not sure about the long eye relief scope but then I've never tried one. I have a Sako 75 in .308 with the barrel shortened to 18'', so I suppose that is a step in this direction. The 10rnd AI mag would put some people off but you could always use a smaller one. I would like to handle one in the flesh and put it through its paces. JC
PS. Its a much better atempt at scout concept than Mannlichers sorry effort! (Standing by for incoming!)

I quicklyread the review and having lived in this business for a while, I would caution you that there was nothing spoken about this specific rifles' performance. Lots of talk about feeding and ergonomics and the Scout Rifle rationale, but no specifics about accuracy. Ruger has a penchant for making visually attractive rifles that aren't particularly accurate. My guess is that this rifle is more of what we call a "ranch rifle" than a comp/sniper/ accuracy unit. I would wait on this one until there has been some definitive reviews done. JHMO of course. ~Muir

Looks like all they've done is given it a short barrel with a flash hider, a forward mount picatinny, AICS mag and iron sights...

At least with Steyr, it has built in bipod, spare mag in the butt, accessory rail, extra storage compartment in the grip, single loading, topping up the mag in-situ - the only problem is that you can't polish a turd :stir:

Concept has been around for a long while as has been said above. Reference the Jungle Carbine version for the Lee Enfield etc, or the original 6.5 Mannlicher. A light short handy package that is accurate enough to reasonable ranges, packs sufficient to kill most animals or in the case of dangerous beasties (whether two or four legged) to dissuade them of the their intent. Just the thing for the back of a pickup, bottom of a canoe etc etc. But with the Ruger, its not stainless steel, which given its intended uses it really should be. Also Muir's comments on accuracy. Given that Tartan Terrier is in Denmark, suggest you look at the Battue versions of many European Rifles - Tikka T3 Battue Lite - would probably work a whole lot better and am sure you can get a bigger after mag if so desired.

The American magazine, rifleshooter recently reviewed the rifle. Accuracy was average at best - an average of 2" group at 100yds with factory fodder including Federal Match HPBT and Hornady A-Maz.

I'd really wouldn't bother.

Looks like all they've done is given it a short barrel with a flash hider, a forward mount picatinny, AICS mag and iron sights...

At least with Steyr, it has built in bipod, spare mag in the butt, accessory rail, extra storage compartment in the grip, single loading, topping up the mag in-situ - the only problem is that you can't polish a turd :stir:

But you can roll it in glitter!!!!

Sounds like the Ruger is also attempting to polish a turd! I bet the aforementioned 2" group was 3 shots too and that the reviewer claimed the accuracy as fit for purpose :rolleyes:

The Tikka would be a better starting point, mind you there is a Tikka T3 scout, though it sounds like they did was to take their tactical model and chop the barrel back to 20". If you really wanted a scout type rifle, you'd be better off taking a 'lite' and chopping it back to 16", then if you really wanted the forward mounted scope, then Brownells sell a suitable mount, similarly plenty of flip up iron sights available though I can't see the need. As for a flash hider :cuckoo: well maybe if you're not allowed a mod!

Not really convinced by a forward mounted scope, a mate has got one for occasional use on his Marlin - the field of view is very limited, I reckon if you wanted quick target acquisition, get a low mag scope, like a 1.1-4 or 1.5-6, better still S&B do a 1-8 !

Back