Thread: Grouse moor management

Grouse moor management

Hi guys any one know were I can get some good info on grouse management iv got the chance of shooting a 250 acer rough pasture on the edge of a grouse moor.

Give WS a pm his dad and him worked grouse moors a few years back he will know what you want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by russ91 View Post
    Hi guys any one know were I can get some good info on grouse management iv got the chance of shooting a 250 acer rough pasture on the edge of a grouse moor.
    There have been 100000s spent on grouse research and we don't have all the answers,but basically vermin, vermin and more vermin burn heather aiming for a seven year rotation but this is not always possible, a lot of small fires are better than one big one keep fires narrow so that young grouse can reach the thicker heather when a winged predator appears, grit medicated oh and start praying a lot.

Seriously though if I have read your post correctly and you are only shooting on the fringe of the moor there is probably not much you can do, also 250 acres is rather on the small side.

Stick in some oats on the margins and you will have a good walked up day on the grouse, bet yur neighbours won't be happy!

Bod

Cheers for that guys, to be honest I'm not to bothered about the neighbours as the land owner is not happy with the keepers with things they are doing, I will only be having 2 or 3 walked up rough shoots for me n a few friends.

habitat and vermin are the keys althou not easy unless u live close by and a few off u to burn safely (i think strips off something like 30ft is about the widest the burnt heather should be, narrower is better), althou like bogtrotter said 250 is a bit on the small side to do much effective management. U are really only shooting ur neighbours overspill. U could possibly put some grit containers down to try and encourage them to hang around. If big numbers next door medicated grit might help keep the worm burdens down althou the medicated stuff has to be replaced so many days afore the shooting season wi normal grit