Shotgun deactivation

Goingback

I have an old hammer Belguim 20 in my gun cupboard that has deeper pits in the barrels than all of South Wales put together and is so loose that you can tell the make of cartridge in it when it is closed! It has a massive family sentimental value but i need space in the safe.
What is the current ballpark cost for deactivation anyone

Hi Goingback, Think about £120 at the proof house because the firearm has to have certificate to say its deactivated

hi,

why not explain the situation to your Flo, one day you may have the money to restore it and better it be in working condition than not.
sure he will be understanding and give you a slot.....

imho thats what i would do.

atb f.

Hi Goingback, Think about £120 at the proof house because the firearm has to have certificate to say its deactivated

I wouldn't have thought that the charge would be that high. Have you contacted the proof house and requested a list of charges? You could carry out the deactivation work yourself providing it is done in accordance with current requirements and then simply submit it for proof so that a deactivation certificate can be supplied.

For that price you could buy another safe, if the issue is purely down to safe space.

The law says stored securely it does not say that a shotgun HAS to be in a steel box. if you break the gun up and store the barrels in the back of a safe and the action elsewhere the gun is useless and so secure. Speak to the experts at you association/organisation for advice not your FEO who probably has less idea than a 10 year old.

Thank you for the idea's. The gun is only fit as a wall piece and is a waste being out of sight. A further safe is not an option as dictated by space and i'm fed up with juggling them when getting one out or putting away!. Thank you all for your ideas.

Back