Your First Deer

Everyone can remember it, it's just a matter of typing it up, mine was a roebuck, when God was a boy :old:

John

my first proper stalk was for roe and i shot a doe my guide and i had crept up on ,i was shaking so much its a wonder i could hit a barn door let alone a deer ,but it was a good shot ,relief arhh .

Mine was a red stag up in Sutherland and I remember it like it was yesterday. I could still take you to the exact spot. I remember the view of the beast through the scope, my heart thumping, and wondering if I would be able to squeeze the trigger. After the shot, the stalker 'blooded' me.

I also remember my first roebuck, shot from a high seat during the rut. Felt a bit bad as he'd just had his wicked way!

Strangely, though, I don't remember my first muntjac or my first fallow :oops:

willie_gunn

yes, mine was a roe doe about 7 years ago now. I remember walking up a ride with my mentor and stopping to glass around in front of us, i happened to look behind us and the doe was slowly crossing the ride no more than eighty yards away, i was pulling his coat like a child trying to get his mums attention i was so excited, i can still remember him saying to me "for gods sake calm down and dont squeeze the trigger till you've stopped shaking". Anyway i managed to control myself and took it with a textbook broadside shot. Needless to say whenever i stop to have a look with the bino's now i always have a glance over my shoulder before moving on.

I remember the first, a roe doe.

I also remember well the first with my own rifle, a Fallow pricket. So excited I didn't reload and shoot his mate stood beside him. Just stood and gawped as he wandered off.:oops:

Mark

Yep remember it in every detail, Muntjac whilst out foxing one evening, arrived early & lo & behold Munty wandered out of a hedge line just in front of me.

First Roe was a young buck from a high seat I'd only erected a few days before.

Chris

i remember it like it was yesterday, a roe doe :D

a great feeling

Dave

Every detail. From waking up at stupid oclock to shaking like a leaf prior to taking the shot. Roe doe followed by the kid.
Wasnt really much of a 'stalk' as we'd spotted them up the hill from the (not public)road leading up to the ground. Just a creep along the hedge line to a gate and then set up about 70yds from them.
First roe buck was a good stalk as was my first fallow doe and sika hind.

A switch type young Red stag shot on Rough Side, Kirkstone Pass in September 1961 .
It was on the ground after 5/6 yards after a heart shot with a 173gr RWS `Teilmantel`bullet from a 7X65R cartridge.
Served my time gralloching it there, but I had ten years previous experience on rabbits etc. so the principle was similar.
The real work started after that as it is a very rough stoney mountain, no Quad bike just brute force.
HWH.
VariousKirkstoneReds1stJan09218.jpg

Last edited:
I can remember my first as if it was yesterday, this is probably helped by the fact it unwittingly turned out to be a gold medal munty......never bettered yet! Such a great way to embark on a lifetimes stalking though.View attachment 6638

10/8/2010, 21:30. 30lb. Roe buck taken with Ian Farrington in Dorset. An unforgettable experience, dropped dead on the spot with an engine room shot at 80 yards with a .30-06 from a Tikka M695 after a brilliant stalk from first glass. A fantastic experience that I'll never forget and I still smile when I think about it. Same again this year definitely, after a long (but brilliant) winter getting very wet and cold dragging does and hinds out!

Mine was 18 years ago - a Roe Buck at 80 yds in a wood near Fintry with a 243 Remmington 700 and a Norma 100grn SP - he did a 180 degree turn and dropped where he stood - still have the head, although it is nothing to write home about.

Back