Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roe buck heart

roe buck heart

i took a roe very poor looking roe buck yesterday to be kind to him to be honest as of his condition .on opening him up his heart was as i could describe it very watery and no body to it .anyone know the cause of it or why it was in such bad condition .noel

Noel, when you say watery,do you mean the Pericardiam ( the sack containing the heart) or the actual heart muscle????

I find this regularly on the Reds, the heart holds no form, like a half filled water balloon.

Never really put much thought into it.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Can I ask where about you shot him ? On his body, not the county ...

Sounds as if he was in a bad way , probable cause is oedema where the body has used up all its fat reserves and what fat remains turns appears wet and slimey , if this is found at Meat Inspection the carcase would be rejected.
    Brian

Any chance of pictures - even if you have to fish it out of the bin!!

perfect description. the heart holds no form, like a half filled water balloon . cant do a pic of it he was cleaned out in the feild and the waste was left for fox bait . and he was neck shot .

At times with a lung shot the heart seems to loose it firmness and is like a wet tissue- I put this down to it going into overdrive during the death run.

Quote Originally Posted by bignoel View Post
    perfect description. the heart holds no form, like a half filled water balloon . cant do a pic of it he was cleaned out in the feild and the waste was left for fox bait . and he was neck shot .
    It sounds like a cardiomyopathy where the walls of the heart have become thin so the muscle is unable to contract with enough power to pump blood efficiently. The question is why?! Were there any other signs of oedema in the carcass? Dan says he's seen a few. I'd be interested in pictures if anyone sees it again.

i would say 1 out of 10 are like this. More so in hinds too.

il take some pictures in june when we start on the forestry stags
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!