Thread: Parker hale floating barrel

Parker hale floating barrel

Does the model 1200 have a floating barrel?

Brithunter is your man to answer that,i had a 1100 ltw and that had a pressure point . df

PM already answered.

For others who may be interested................ the Normal 1200 and 1200C had a fore tip pressure point. P-H did make a few models that were floated from the factory the 1200V (Varmint with it's bull barrel) and the 1200TX single shot target rifle again with bull barrel. If one thinks about their use then it sort of makes sense the chances of the 1200V being used off a Bi-pod was much higher than the normal 1200 Super and the 1200TX would be used with a tight single point sling. Isolating the barrel for the stock made sense then.

Of course Bi-pods seem to be the vouge now which was nott he case when these rifles were made.

Is it a big job to free float the barrel

I have a lwt, I don't use a bipod but was told at my local gun shop that getting the barrel free floated would aid accuracy as if the stock gets moist POI will change. Is it worth bothering or is he just after me spending more money. If it is worth doing is it an expensive job.
    Regards Oli

Quote Originally Posted by Oli223 View Post
    I have a lwt, I don't use a bipod but was told at my local gun shop that getting the barrel free floated would aid accuracy as if the stock gets moist POI will change. Is it worth bothering or is he just after me spending more money. If it is worth doing is it an expensive job.
    Regards Oli
    Hi, nave a look at this and all will be revealed! instead of tool he uses i use a socket of the appropriate diameter with sand paper wrapped around it

Quote Originally Posted by Oli223 View Post
    Regards Oli
    Oh god how I hate these gunshops they have been responsible for the ruination of many classics and they should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Its easy to sand out the pressure point with any tube of similar shape and some fine sandpaper but remember to reseal the wood to stop moisture being absorbed. If your rifle shoots well with the pressure point in place then leave well alone, but these days with sound moderators and bipods it is possible to have three settings on your scope to compensate for whatever is fitted at the time.

i wouldnt free float barrel with out bedding action other wise it could start spraying bullets ,having a pressure point is the factory way of stoping the rifle spray bullets due to the loose fitting action in stock
    take it to a good gunsmith and get it pillar bedded and floated

With regard to the screws that secure the action the rear one has a tube that goes over it which makes for a snug fit in the action but my front one doesnt which allows for play from side to side i think it must have a bit missing!