patterdale terrier

sika

hi iv got a 16 week old pat bitch that im going to be using for foxing do people think i would be able to use her for tracking deer as well?? cheers

Great little dogs, will tackle a red stag if you let them.(and they are not bothered wether you have shot it or not):lol: :rolleyes:.

With a dog that has a strong drive to kill like a terrier you must train it with a strong hand. But if they are trained correct they are hard to beat. I worked a fell terrier for 14 years and he was excellent.But i tried to replace him with a terrier and that was harder than i thought . So there are some that just will not take a telling no mater what.

Last edited:
mines only young but iv got her walking off the lead to heal (iv got 3 other dogs used for picking up)

My god my Pat bitch has a mind of her own (already installed in her before i got her) and they did make me aware. As they've said above, once they go one way - if good great! If like mine - you almost need to run her for two hours on a tread mill to calm her down for a steady shoot (let alone a stalk) hellish good on rabbits and rats though!!! lol.

I will say though when she has calmed down she is bloody brilliant at flushing anything (deer/fox/poachers)lol

They make excellent guard dogs too as they are not scared of anything, it could be because she's quite vocal - or the inch long needle-like teeth she shows readily!!

Ive never put her to ground for anything - but i'm told they are excellent -

T

If you are going to use her a a foxing dog, i would leave it at that, all terriers are head strong and when catch a wiff of a scent they are off and turn deaf to recall, trust me I know having kept working terriers 30 odd years, get yourself an other dog for tracking and keep the terrier for foxing and vermin. Great wee dogs but are not multi purpose.

YIS

Bod

If you are going to use her a a foxing dog, i would leave it at that, all terriers are head strong and when catch a wiff of a scent they are off and turn deaf to recall, trust me I know having kept working terriers 30 odd years, get yourself an other dog for tracking and keep the terrier for foxing and vermin. Great wee dogs but are not multi purpose.

YIS

Bod

Totally agree - mines a swine for that - then she comes back after chasing whatever for two fields and looks at me as if to say - 'dad where the hell was you? - i run my arse off and you've just stood here' little bugger!!

Back