950yrd shot at a deer

Impressive! Is it?

I've watched it again and I think that deer turns and runs off to the right after the shot. In fact I'm certain of it.

But as you have said. Who in their right minds?

Long Range

In the clip I watched the deer droped like a stone. Dont think I will be encouraged to start taking long shots because that just aint stalking!!

Dave

OMG..........

What ever a 338 edge is I want one.

These americans can shoot, and they get all the best toys to play with :D

Has anyone seen the clip of the Pronghorn taken at over a 1000yrds?

Too much reading of sniper websites and ultra long range hunting can seriously damage your eyesite :eek: :D :eek: :D

AYE.
And it can seriously damage some poor brute of a beast.
With inconsiderate pratt shots such as those how many escape minus a leg or shot in the gut ?
You will never see or hear about the cock-shots !

If you can't be arsed to get closer it's time to take a close look in the mirror and ask yourself if stalking really is for you?

There are plenty of rifle ranges for you to chuck some lead down - but stay away from living targets. Nothing gets me started quite like a load of egotistical egits who only bother to show you the 1 in 10 shots they managed to get lucky with.

Long range

I am with Stagg 1933 and Butch on this one wounding animals is a c@nts trick dont shoot deer at any range unless you know you can put 10 out of 10 shots in a 4 inch circle.

Dave

Re: Long range

devilishdave said:
I am with Stagg 1933 and Butch on this one wounding animals is a c@nts trick dont shoot deer at any range unless you know you can put 10 out of 10 shots in a 4 inch circle.

Dave

I sure that the guy doing the shooting in that vid is capable of doing just that.

The down range performance of the 338 edge is phenomenal, especially when you consider that it uses 250g heads..

I cant afford one anyway so I'll just have to stick with my 6.5x284 and 139g scenar's

What you cant be sure of is medium and long range windage issues, this is not a flagged range and the downrange time will be in the order of 1 second.
This is not stalking or hunting, its 'shooting' at living targets and at best is a 'stunt-hunt' at worst need I have to state the obvious.

Limitations and ethics

Is it not more important to always try to work within the limitation of the shooter, climactic conditions and the equipment in use. Than to place a predetermined ethically acceptable distance upon the actual event of pulling the trigger?

e.g. Is it more acceptable for an inexperienced novice to shoot a muntjac at 150m with a .222 using a 45gr bullet off a pair of garden canes as sticks (After Oct of course ;) ) than for an experience long range shooter to shot a red deer at 600m with a .338 edge using a 250gr bullet off a bipod whilst laid down having determined the distance by range finder, measured the wind speed and made the correct adjustments on his premium grade, BDC turreted scope?

I shall now retreat to my pre dug concrete bunker place my A1M1 Kevlar helmet upon my head and await the in coming salvos. :rolleyes: ;)

Than to place a predetermined ethically acceptable distance upon the actual event of pulling the trigger?

I think anyone who's an experienced stalker would say both scenarios are to be avoided. No stalking guest of mine would dream of taking a 600m shot, because it would be their last shot on my land.

If you can't get close to your deer, then hang up your rifle and buy yourself a season ticket at your local 10 pin bowling club.

How many people will go off into the woods and try this stunt? U tube is full of similar videos. What do members of the general public think when they see such vids? We have a hard enough time defending our stalking, without Elmer.J.Chicken**** III playing Rambo!
These people should p1ss off to Iraq if they want to blow holes in things.
I shoot long range at military ranges (600-1000metres) at targets, but I prefer getting as close to a deer as possible. Thats skill, using your field craft to get up close and personal. I've had deer almost walk over the top of me I have got that close.
Its not stalking and its not sniping, I respect both disciplines. This is rich boys with their toys and scant regard or respect for deer.

Once you have shot enough deer at 250 yds you know why you should not shoot them at 600 whatever the calibre.
It's interesting seeing the difference in POI and POA on the animal.
With a consistent MOA rifle (not the lucky 1/4 MOA once in a blue moon group off the bench type) at 600yds your group is 6" wide with a 5 mph cross wind at a further 16". Ranging error +/- 50 yds is 7" vertical.
Just because we 'can' do something doesnt mean we should. Military style shooting was never designed to ensure one shot one kill, it was to incapacitate ane enemy and wound or else expanding amunition would be legal under the Geneva convention.
The best thing for those wannabe snipers is restrict their activities to the bedroom :lol: :lol: :lol:
sniper_scout.jpg

Mark

Re: Limitations and ethics

Cossack said:
Is it not more important to always try to work within the limitation of the shooter, climactic conditions and the equipment in use. Than to place a predetermined ethically acceptable distance upon the actual event of pulling the trigger?

e.g. Is it more acceptable for an inexperienced novice to shoot a muntjac at 150m with a .222 using a 45gr bullet off a pair of garden canes as sticks (After Oct of course ;) ) than for an experience long range shooter to shot a red deer at 600m with a .338 edge using a 250gr bullet off a bipod whilst laid down having determined the distance by range finder, measured the wind speed and made the correct adjustments on his premium grade, BDC turreted scope?

In my book both are in the wrong to the same degree. both might pull of the shot but as I said above if at the range and distance you are shooting you cant consistantly put the shot in a 4inch circle in practice then dont even think about it on a deer.

Dave

Back