Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which calibre would be most suitable?

which calibre would be most suitable?

Hi all you experienced stalkers out there, I am looking to get a stalking rifle and I am torn between a 243 or a 308. Please could you give me some advice as to which calibre would be most suitable?would like to cover all deer in UK.

Thumbs up

combine the best of both and go 7mm08 problem solved
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

IMHO you would be hard pressed to beat the 308 winchester plenty of choice as regards to rifles bullets ect will work well from the small deer to the biggest of woodland stags

IMHO .270 will fit the bill.

If you put 50 stalkers in a room you would always get a debate on this subject.

Cheers

Ross

Got both, if I was only to have one I would go for the .308 it does less meet damage yet puts the animals down faster on average.

Dave

I used to have a .243 for stalking. Now I have .243, .308 and 6.5x55.

If I still had just the .243, I would not have shot fewer deer.

For factory-load versatility, I think the choice would have to be .308. I got a .243 to start with because I needed cf mainly for fox.

Second vote for a 7-08! capt david

OK, I'll also have a go at the 'suggest a calibre he isn't considering' line....

On second thoughts, I think I'll stick with .308 as my suggestion.

.270, covers anything and a huge range of bullets. Nice and flat trajectory as well. My .270 falls within 1 inch on the sme POA from 50m up to 150, only another inch or 2 drop to 200+

Quote Originally Posted by terrier1 View Post
    Hi all you experienced stalkers out there, I am looking to get a stalking rifle and I am torn between a 243 or a 308. Please could you give me some advice as to which calibre would be most suitable?would like to cover all deer in UK.
    OK the two cartridges your asking about for normal UK stalking will do everything you need. So my take on this is find the rifle you like the best, fits you the best and come up nicely to the shoulder with sights aligned with your eye without having to move your head and get that one. Actual chambering will not really matter except for licensing..