Thread: crown problem

crown problem

after trying to resolve my (inherited) rifle's grouping problems I tired to get a good look at the crown (its a BSA with integral muzzle brake so not easy!)

this is the best photo I can get but it just doesnt look particularly uniform.
    I dont have anything to compare to it as the other centre fire I have has a much smoother radius but without the muzzel brake there is more material between inner and outer diameter
    does anyone have any thoughts?
    could this be a problem?

Last edited by bewsher500; 08-05-2011 at 09:57.

Bewsh, allowing for the picture quality, it appears the markings on the crown lip from the burning gases look uniform to me, if the rifle was mine, the muzzle brake would be history anyway, if it's not needed to retain some collector value, get rid & have it re crowned & threaded for a good quality moderator.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Bewsh, allowing for the picture quality, it appears the markings on the crown lip from the burning gases look uniform to me, if the rifle was mine, the muzzle brake would be history anyway, if it's not needed to retain some collector value, get rid & have it re crowned & threaded for a good quality moderator.
    2nd that~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Sheesh another classic defiled and desyroyed .................................................. .....

have it crowned m8 ,the factory crowns are pretty ruff ,get .5in cutt off recrown and it will shoot way better ,also have it bedded if your still not happy with the accuarcy
    thats the 2 most important things to get a factory rifle to shoot appart from good ammo

fixed it.
    wasnt the crown, see other thread

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    fixed it.
    wasnt the crown, see other thread

thanks
    What thread would that be

Neil.

the one I started under this one
    anyone with first hand experience of getting a rifle bore scoped"