Thread: buying a car off ebay

buying a car off ebay

Hi all,

does anyone know anthing about the procedure for buying a car off Ebay?
    I have been looking for a shooting vehicle for running the dogs around to save our main car getting trashed. I have looked a loads of sh*te over the last few weeks but i've spotted a motor on ebay that sounds ok for what i want. The auction ends tonight and the seller is out till 8pm so i cant get to look at it. My question is, if i bid on it and win, do i have to buy it? what if I get there to collect it and there is no 3rd gear, can i walk away?
    I imagine he could give me some bad feedback or something but i'd rather that than spend 3k on a dog. Where do I stand?

Ezzy

Hi,

I bought my shooting wagon off e bay.

I bluntly asked the guy what is his reserve price, unless of course it has reached its reserve already?

If the car is not as listed on e bay you are under no obligation to buy it if it has been listed incorrectly. Like the example you gave of not having 3rd gear, they would have to list that in the description.

What I did was take a friend that is a skilled mechanic and fortunately for me he had owned one of the cars I bought before so he knew what things to look out for, when he gave the nod I handed the cash over.

Although it would be annoying from the sellers point of view, he can contact the person that gave the second highest bid and offer it to them.

I believe e bay has removed the right for sellers to give negative feedback, they just can choose to not give any feedback.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ross

If you bid and win then it is legally binding however, if the car is not what the seller describes it as then you have reason to refuse to pay.
    At this late stage unless you can view it i`d leave it.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I'm picking one up today, coincidentally - it's my 3rd of there.
    I would suggest caution on older secondhand models and have a reserve for something wrong (clutch etc).
    That said I have had some cracking deals off of there,

I have just brought a Vauxhall Frontera B 2.2 16V off e-bay, looked at some on Auto-trader and some nice looking ones but alas none locally in our price range. Those that were went quickly. I bid on four and did not win any of them then one I watched with some listed faults came up. I thought about it and we have allowed a bit to bring it up to spec so I waited until the last seconds and bid.

Did not view the car before hand as it was over 200 miles away but I did message the vendor and also spoke to him on the phone. So we now have a 1999 Frontera with a test ticket until next year a months tax for 650. As I said yes we will have to spend a little on it over the next month or two but we have, hopefully, factored in a budget for that. Sadly there are some rip off merchants out there so fingers crossed we are going to be OK on this one.

SD Regular
    Ezzy,

'Technically' you should be able to satisfy yourself prior to bidding as a bid is a contract. However as you say, the outcome will be a bit of bad feedback. I'd drop the chap a note via eBay (so they have a record if he does want to make a deal about it) saying that you want to bid, but that because you've not been able to see the car beforehand, the bid is conditional on you actually seeing the car. He can either say yes or no to that. At the end of the day, it will come to you 'sold as seen', so you need to be really sure about what you're buying. I'm with you on bad feedback, but if I remember rightly sellers can no longer leave negative feedback. If it's what you want, I'd go with it. A good eBayer will understand your good intentions and also not try and fob you off with a dog....!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by ezzy6.5 View Post
    Hi all,

does anyone know anthing about the procedure for buying a car off Ebay?
    I have been looking for a shooting vehicle for running the dogs around to save our main car getting trashed. I have looked a loads of sh*te over the last few weeks but i've spotted a motor on ebay that sounds ok for what i want. The auction ends tonight and the seller is out till 8pm so i cant get to look at it. My question is, if i bid on it and win, do i have to buy it? what if I get there to collect it and there is no 3rd gear, can i walk away?
    I imagine he could give me some bad feedback or something but i'd rather that than spend 3k on a dog. Where do I stand?

Ezzy
    buy my landy

Sorry Spoony,
    The car I was looking at was taken off Ebay with 3 mins left to go so I contacted the seller and we have manged to sort out a deal tonight. Very pleased with the price and it was good to have a look at it first. I just hope it's as good as it looks.

Ezzy

Sorry Spoony,
    The car I was looking at was taken off Ebay with 3 mins left to go so I contacted the seller and we have manged to sort out a deal tonight. Very pleased with the price and it was good to have a look at it first. I just hope it's as good as it looks.

Ezzy
    No probs good luck with the new motor what was it ?

Sorry Spoony,

Ezzy

be extra careful mate doing deals outside ebay, also make sure you dont pay any monies into an account of any sort especially western union until you have the actual goods in hand.

buyer beware mate

f