Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you stalk ???

Why do you stalk ???

Over the last few days all I've heard from other stalkers is I think it is a medal, mmmm

Is that really all stalkers see with Bucks .

What about the removal due to damage .

Balancing the Buck numbers with in a area .

The direction I'm looking for is on the buck trophy side of stalking .

The Doe side of stalking is not in contention, they are for reduction to sustainable numbers .
    Last edited by widows son; 08-05-2011 at 18:25. Reason: Further direction to the post

good weather nice to be out .
    you know better than most Key to numbers is female.

I suspect that the people who are reporting days out in lovely weather after a decent buck have, for the last 6 months or so, been reporting on trips out for does in sometimes difficult conditions. It seems only fair that they get a few days summer holidays to enjoy taking a good buck or two.

What motivates us is going to be different for each individual and that is what makes the world go around and everyone should be allowed to express their own preference.

Maybe it's because when shooting does you get nothing to "show" for it. Job well done, animal gralloched, butchered and consigned to the freezer to become delicious but annonymous joints of meat. With the buck, if the fancy takes you, you get to put a reminder on the wall in a set of antlers or a trophy mount.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

"Why do I stalk?"
    I just love venison! I BBQ'd some venison steaks on Saturday for a couple of friends. Two more converts to Roe venison
    As for medals-- I wouldn't know a medal if it jumped up and bit me on the bum. Never been that interested, as someone on here said "it's not the antlers you eat"!
    Still, each to their own.

Simple answer for food and the feeling of getting everything right to be able to take a clean shot. Plus it makes a change to the view from my desk.

England, a large country south of the Scottish Border
    Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Over the last few days all I've heard from other stalkers is I think it is a medal, mmmm

Is that really all stalkers see with Bucks .

What about the removal due to damage .

Balancing the Buck numbers with in a area .

The direction I'm looking for is on the buck trophy side of stalking .

The Doe side of stalking is not in contention, they are for reduction to sustainable numbers .
    You have answered your own question surely?
    If whilst carrying out all those noble tasks you mention, you happen to drop a buck with a noteable head, then thats a bonus is,nt it
    Sure there are stalkers that take potentially medal heads, but for the majority they would be part of the cull plan
    Never a Lender or Borrower be

For me summer gives you opportunity to take something home other than for the freezer. We must all know the feeling of an exciting stalk into a good (or bad) buck on a warm summers evening and ending up with a unique specimen to talk about, as opposed to another, for the want of a better phrase - featureless doe.

Because I enjoy it.

I'm not a deer manager and have no intention of becoming one. I have a full time job which precludes this and suspect most recreational stalkers fall in the same category.

As for the trophy side; I enjoy stalking the does and probably shoot more does than bucks. All the bucks I shoot end up on the wall if the antlers are not in velvet, but I wouldn't go out looking for a trophy and am not really keen on paying the trophy prices. I could fit in a good number of extra stalks for the price of a good trophy, so instead I stick to cull animals and go out more often.

The answer very much depends on what type of stalker you are.
    I'm a recreational stalker and just enjoy the solitude and being at one with nature. Similar to fly fishing a small stream with a #4 line and rod and dry flies.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks