Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallow in D&G

Fallow in D&G

Gents,

A good mate of mine was up last week after some bucks. So of to the Carsphairn area of the county, dogs, guns and a lot of hope in the vehicle and off we go.

Due to distance and time constraints the area does not get stalked much so it's a quiet area that produces some small but well shaped heads.

He knows the area well and is aware that there is mainly roe and red present within the blocks. After a good day stalking we met and he informed me he had been watching a number of fallow sunning themselves in some heather.

Now I laughed and laughed at him and said he was

He was adamant , so back we went on saturday morning after he had finished stalking for him to show me exactly were they were said to have been lying up. The dog went on point exacty where he said they had been so something had been lying up there and there was sign of deer around athough pellets.

Now the issue is , is he?

A:
    He has been stalking for years and knows what they look like (Colin Kerr taught him about fallow) so they would be fallow and definately not those Jap things cos that would be bad news as they are tough little sods to stalk and knock over in mature blocks

B: Needs his eyes checking

or is he right and a small parcel of fallow have moved in from somewhere, the nearest I know of fallow would be the other side of the county on the Annandale estate/ Ae forest - unless some have moved south from south ayrshire to the areas

So gents please discuss as I still think he's cos if he's right that means the rent may go up if the owner finds we have fallow now.

Monty

Not there often but a couple of years ago i saw Fallow about 10 miles north of Dumfries.

Theres a lot along the A74 by Lockerbie.

Drive up the A701 just before and after the bridge with the traffic lights there hundreds of them, there a pain in the arse when driving at night ,I'm surprised there is a population left with the amount that is prated on the road.
    Last edited by widows son; 09-05-2011 at 00:05.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Drive up the A702 just before and after the bridge with the traffic lights there hundreds of them, there a pain in the arse when driving at night ,I'm surprised there is a population left with the amount that is prated on the road.
    What village is that near Rab?

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    What village is that near Rab?
    Marc it is the A701 from Beattock to ST Anns that is just at the bridge with the traffic lights . From the bridge south toward for about two miles. You'll see a fair herd of them .

As I said the road at night can be mental.

There's hardly a week goes by that Curries don't flatten something.

On the 2007 BDS distribution maps for fallow there are eleven 10km grid squares starting about 8 miles to the East and South East of Carsphairn running down to Dumfries that hold fallow. There is another block of eight 10km squares mostly to the North of Newton Stewart that hold fallow. So there seem to be plenty around but having said that the square in which Carsphairn sits did not have a record of fallow in 2007.

I've seen them about 2 miles due north coming out of Gatehouse of Fleet.

Stan

There is a large number (or used to be) on Rae Hills Estate, near Moffat. That is where the bridge with the traffic lights on it is. I had a friend over near New Abbey claim he had seen a Fallow in that area, didn't believe him though!!

hi theres a lot of fallow around gatehouse of fleet
    atb tom