Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recovered Partition in 6.5

Recovered Partition in 6.5

We had at the end of April a roe buck which was followed up and shot again. A neck shot in corn, the bullet clipped the neck raked the loin and came to rest in the bucks hip joint.
    We could not see because of the corn which way the body of the beast was.(unfortunate).

I believe it is a 140gr nosler partition in 6.5 cal
    I will weigh it shortly.

Interesting photo - thanks for posting. I've just started using partitions and the only deer I've shot with them was a neck shot (my first neck shot ever) so I can't really comment on performance other than to say it was beyond my expectations.

I had heard that they lost the front core quite often but that this was generally a positive thing as the front core then spent its time doing extra damage and this would certainly appear to be what has happened in your case.

John, were the petals open like that when you recovered the bullet?

If so, they will have cut a fine track through a beast. I have a batch of 125gr 6.5's on order just now. Will be interesting to try them out this year.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

YES ITS AS IT WAS.
    the damage wasn't bad as it had shed much of its velocity in the neck and loin area which were writen off.
    my personal load in my 6.5 is the 125 partitions.

I use partitions, 150 grain in .308. Would be interesting to see what other bullets expanding capabilities are like. As partitions are expensive, i would like to think they would out perform most of the others. Well done on retrieving, and posting a useful photo. Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I use partitions, 150 grain in .308. Would be interesting to see what other bullets expanding capabilities are like. As partitions are expensive, i would like to think they would out perform most of the others. Well done on retrieving, and posting a useful photo. Ed.
    Picture below [left] of part of a Nosler partition extracted from a Red-deer, the front core was lost and the rear core was backing out. [.30-06 calibre.]
    The pair on the right are common Speer SPBT.270 calibre 130 grainers which I generally use in my Carl Gustaf. [also retrieved from Reds.]
    They are accurate and cause minimal carcase damage.
    Personally I would not spend extra cash on Partitions as I have killed many beasts with those common Speers.
    HWH.

thats a lot of material loss from that partition.
    I thought the core was bonded to the jacket in these.

I have recovered standard off the shelf norma bullets from red deer and they look a lot like the speer mushrooms above. still retaining the bulk of the core and most of the jacket.

Partitions are not bonded.
    they are designed to retain about 60-66%

Hi,

Where do you guys get the 125gr Nosler Partitions from?
    Trying to find some to try but not having much luck.

Cheers,

Will

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    Partitions are not bonded.
    they are designed to retain about 60-66%
    "The enclosed rear core retains more than two-thirds of the original bullet weight for deep penetration."

neither of those above look like the marketing blurb.
    Partition - Nosler - Bullets, Ammunition, Rifles, Brass, Reloading Data, Hunting, Shooting, Reloading, Load Data

given the cost I would have expected them to keep at least some of the front core in place (as they seem to indicate it will)