Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help ! I need a mentor

Help ! I need a mentor

I had a discussion with my FAO today, i told him i had a new 5000 acre permission and had been asked by the farmer to control Deer. I do not have any Deer species on my licence, so when i asked if i could be considered to have the Deer added to my licence i was told that I need to get a Mentor to help me gain some experience first. A couple of stalks and a brief letter outlining what experience i gained.
    So i am on the look out for a kind person to take me under their wing, and give me the the start to the basics of a good safe and humane excecution of a stalk. I know this is a bit of an imposition but you dont get if you dont ask.
    I have my own .243 Tikka and have been told i can even take a shot if accompanied by a mentor.
    Please contact me if you are that person, even if its to give some advice to this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by actionman1 View Post
    I know this is a bit of an imposition but you dont get if you dont ask.
    Not strictly true..... when I was having trouble getting the accompanied stalking condition lifted a member of this forum very kindly offered to help
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? PM me if you like, as I know a good few people who would suit depending upon your location. I'm sure you will get lots of offers, but be cautious, as some may not have your best interests at heart,
    and not all will be suitable as mentors in the eyes of your FAO.
    Good luck.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? PM me if you like, as I know a good few people who would suit depending upon your location. I'm sure you will get lots of offers, but be cautious, as some may not have your best interests at heart,
    and not all will be suitable as mentors in the eyes of your FAO.
    Good luck.
    MS
    As MS says be carefull! There may be some that have eyes on your permission and will do anything to get it!

but there are some geniune folk out there too
    i got started by meeting an old boy in the pub turned in to my best mate ,we stalk together learnt loads from him over the years ,share the stalking ,share the costs ,share the fun !
    good luck
    norma

Go back to him and tell him that You have a deer caliber .243 which you now require the condition opened on your certificate to allow you to cull deer as per the farmers requirements to protect crops ETC .

There is nothing changing, you have more than sufficient knowledge for them to grant the weapon for it's current use, deer don't have any more working parts than any other animal that you have been shooting.

Mentoring is not a current requirement of the home office guidelines for firearm or ammunition .

On the other hand you can always tell him it is use a rifle, or if they will not grant the condition for a rifle, that you will have to use a Shotgun, which is legal ,it would be advantageous to use a rifle in conjunction, with best practice as laid down by the DI and DCS for just this type of incident .

As these deer would be going into the food chain in the current profile, on the use of lead ammunition ie shot gun cartridges would not suit the game dealers requirements
    Rendering the venison useless for sale purposes.

im sure when members local to you read this post you will get a few offers of help, if i was closer i would be happy to assist you getting your ticket opened up mate, best of luck

I'm with WS on this one, the more this goes on the harder it will be to have things straightened out, as WS states no more working parts than owt else, you already have the rifle, so what is his reasoning?????
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Go back to him and tell him that You have a deer caliber .243 which you now require the condition opened on your certificate to allow you to cull deer as per the farmers requirements to protect crops ETC .

There is nothing changing, you have more than sufficient knowledge for them to grant the weapon for it's current use, deer don't have any more working parts than any other animal that you have been shooting.

Mentoring is not a current requirement of the home office guidelines for firearm or ammunition .

On the other hand you can always tell him it is use a rifle, or if they will not grant the condition for a rifle, that you will have to use a Shotgun, which is legal ,it would be advantageous to use a rifle in conjunction, with best practice as laid down by the DI and DCS for just this type of incident .

As these deer would be going into the food chain in the current profile, on the use of lead ammunition ie shot gun cartridges would not suit the game dealers requirements
    Rendering the venison useless for sale purposes.
    i bet you needed a sit down after that one WS
    I`m afraid when i die the wife will sell my gear for the price i told her

first call should be to basc or ca depending which your in.its not a legal requirement as far as i know