Help ! I need a mentor

actionman1

I had a discussion with my FAO today, i told him i had a new 5000 acre permission and had been asked by the farmer to control Deer. I do not have any Deer species on my licence, so when i asked if i could be considered to have the Deer added to my licence i was told that I need to get a Mentor to help me gain some experience first. A couple of stalks and a brief letter outlining what experience i gained.
So i am on the look out for a kind person to take me under their wing, and give me the the start to the basics of a good safe and humane excecution of a stalk. I know this is a bit of an imposition but you dont get if you dont ask.
I have my own .243 Tikka and have been told i can even take a shot if accompanied by a mentor.
Please contact me if you are that person, even if its to give some advice to this matter.

I know this is a bit of an imposition but you dont get if you dont ask.
Not strictly true..... when I was having trouble getting the accompanied stalking condition lifted a member of this forum very kindly offered to help :D

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? PM me if you like, as I know a good few people who would suit depending upon your location. I'm sure you will get lots of offers, but be cautious, as some may not have your best interests at heart:-|,
and not all will be suitable as mentors in the eyes of your FAO.
Good luck.
MS:)

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? PM me if you like, as I know a good few people who would suit depending upon your location. I'm sure you will get lots of offers, but be cautious, as some may not have your best interests at heart:-|,
and not all will be suitable as mentors in the eyes of your FAO.
Good luck.

As MS says be carefull! There may be some that have eyes on your permission and will do anything to get it!

but there are some geniune folk out there too :evil:
i got started by meeting an old boy in the pub turned in to my best mate ,we stalk together learnt loads from him over the years ,share the stalking ,share the costs ,share the fun !
good luck
norma

Go back to him and tell him that You have a deer caliber .243 which you now require the condition opened on your certificate to allow you to cull deer as per the farmers requirements to protect crops ETC .

There is nothing changing, you have more than sufficient knowledge for them to grant the weapon for it's current use, deer don't have any more working parts than any other animal that you have been shooting.

Mentoring is not a current requirement of the home office guidelines for firearm or ammunition .

On the other hand you can always tell him it is use a rifle, or if they will not grant the condition for a rifle, that you will have to use a Shotgun, which is legal ,it would be advantageous to use a rifle in conjunction, with best practice as laid down by the DI and DCS for just this type of incident .

As these deer would be going into the food chain in the current profile, on the use of lead ammunition ie shot gun cartridges would not suit the game dealers requirements
Rendering the venison useless for sale purposes.

im sure when members local to you read this post you will get a few offers of help, if i was closer i would be happy to assist you getting your ticket opened up mate, best of luck

I'm with WS on this one, the more this goes on the harder it will be to have things straightened out, as WS states no more working parts than owt else, you already have the rifle, so what is his reasoning?????

Go back to him and tell him that You have a deer caliber .243 which you now require the condition opened on your certificate to allow you to cull deer as per the farmers requirements to protect crops ETC .

There is nothing changing, you have more than sufficient knowledge for them to grant the weapon for it's current use, deer don't have any more working parts than any other animal that you have been shooting.

Mentoring is not a current requirement of the home office guidelines for firearm or ammunition .

On the other hand you can always tell him it is use a rifle, or if they will not grant the condition for a rifle, that you will have to use a Shotgun, which is legal ,it would be advantageous to use a rifle in conjunction, with best practice as laid down by the DI and DCS for just this type of incident .

As these deer would be going into the food chain in the current profile, on the use of lead ammunition ie shot gun cartridges would not suit the game dealers requirements
Rendering the venison useless for sale purposes.

i bet you needed a sit down after that one WS :eek:

Action man, what with the other sites you have put this on, you will ned a secretary to go through the replys.
Speak/contact Monkey Spanker he would be your best bet with his network of Deer men I'm sure he will be able to put you in touch with the right person.

Last edited:
So i am on the look out for a kind person to take me under their wing, and give me the the start to the basics of a good safe and humane excecution of a stalk.
I think some of you are missing the point here?
Typical 'knee-jerk reaction force' demanding that the poor chap contact BASC etc and demand that he be let out on his own to shoot deer etc..
I get the impression that he is actually happy with the situation, but just want's someone that knows what they are doing to guide him along the path of righteousness? He hasn't done a DSC 1 and has probably never even shot a deer! Take yourself back to when you were in that position and try to remember how daunting it felt!
Getting someone to show you how it is done properly is ultimately worth far more than any classroom course!

So i am on the look out for a kind person to take me under their wing, and give me the the start to the basics of a good safe and humane excecution of a stalk.
Typical 'knee-jerk reaction force' demanding that the poor chap contact BASC etc and demand that he be let out on his own to shoot deer etc..
I get the impression that he is actually happy with the situation, but just want's someone that knows what they are doing to guide him along the path of righteousness? He hasn't done a DSC 1 and has probably never even shot a deer! Take yourself back to when you were in that position and try to remember how daunting it felt!
Getting someone to show you how it is done properly is ultimately worth far more than any classroom course!
Have to agree here and knew you would have the right idea of what he needs.
Far too may people tend to advise contacting BASC for the most trivial thing when a common sense approach is all that is asked for or needed.

PS, Isn't it about time your avator ran out of ammo, the noise if deafening ;)

I'd also say be very careful as an awful lot of people are looking for stalking ground. Have you thought about paying for a few stalks to meet different people and see the differing ways of doing things as a way of getting experience?
Doesn't cost a lot you see different countryside and means you won't chance having someone turn up on your landowners doorstep offering cash.

Yes i am happy with this requirement, the chance to learn from someone should never be passed up, and the chance to meet new people in the sport is an appealing propersition. The farmer on my new permission will not let me bring guests at this time, so i need someone who will let me tag along on theirs

Yes i am happy with this requirement, the chance to learn from someone should never be passed up, and the chance to meet new people in the sport is an appealing propersition. The farmer on my new permission will not let me bring guests at this time, so i need someone who will let me tag along on theirs

That's not quite how it normally goes mate. For what you are asking, you should end up with a 'closed' ticket which will allow you to shoot deer on YOUR land. There will be a condition on it that states something like "you can only shoot deer when accompanied by the experienced stalker Mr XXXXXXX" who is your nominated and agreed mentor. This will be on YOUR land which has been deemed suitable by the chief of police. This condition will remain until you satisfy your mentor that you are both safe and competent, upon which you will then need to submit a letter from him along with your certificate so that the condition may be removed.
You will need to discuss this with the land owner as the police will also seek clarification from him that you do indeed have his permission. If he will not let your mentor accompany you, then you may have a problem! Your mentor does not need to carry a rifle either, although I would prefer to if it was me, just in case you wounded an animal and a humane despatch was required which may be beyond your current capabilities.
I'm sure we can sort it out, but you need to speak to both FEO and landowner and determine exactly where you stand before we can progress.
I know a few suitable mentors in and around Norwich.
PM me a phone number if you want to discuss further.
Regards,

Last edited:
Back