Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weimeraner what is wrong with them

Weimeraner what is wrong with them

Hi all just wondering why no one works them and I have never seen Weimeraners even mentioned on here why is this

SD Regular
    Every one I have ever known has been bonkers - but then so have the Wiszla's and people seem to work them OK......I went the easy route - Ridgeback!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I used to work a bitch weimaraner (gun dog) Totally useless until she was about 3 1/2 to 4 years old then settled down to be a good gun dog, i know as said above that most are a bit how should i say mental, but not all are like this, and bitches are generally cannier than dogs, dont know how good a deer dog they would make.

Read somewhere that they are one of the breeds that became a cosmetic accessory, so most haqve been bred for show or pets and over the years have lost the good hunting bloodlines, although as Mauser243 said there are some still being used.

I'll stick with my GWP's

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by 270wsm View Post
    Read somewhere that they are one of the breeds that became a cosmetic accessory, so most haqve been bred for show or pets and over the years have lost the good hunting bloodlines, although as Mauser243 said there are some still being used.

I'll stick with my GWP's

Ade
    Weimaraners were ruined by the show crowd, but if you get one from a working line you should do well. I have a Viszla, and made a point of getting one from a working line- even at 10 months old he is showing promise, but the HPR's seem to mature a bit slower than other gundog breeds from what I've seen.

loads of good good ones out there but if your after one make sure its proven working stock.wouldnt have one personally i think they just look like grey dobermans

Is there one single working working breed that the KC have not ruined ?

Quote Originally Posted by bonnieandgem View Post
    Hi all just wondering why no one works them and I have never seen Weimeraners even mentioned on here why is this
    Used to be a chap from Denny[not far from you] who worked them, haven't seen him for a while don't know if he still has them.

His name is (Kaizak)... good pointers but crush birds.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnieandgem View Post
    About 20 or so years ago, a route clearance in NI:
    (To cut a long story short) on the clearance the AES dog (Ammunition and Explosives Sniffer) was a weimeraner. A wall that it walked past was packed with ANFO.
    The handler smelt the ANFO before the dog did.
    I've thought that breed to be as thick as mince ever since.