Thread: Spotting scope or Bino's pros and cons...

Spotting scope or Bino's pros and cons...

Browsing some expensive bino's today there was also a spotting scope in the same display which was considerably cheaper, just wondered who uses a scope over binos and your thoughts in general. Whatever way it goes im going to have to invest in something decent shortly.

Cheers
    Billy

I think it depends what your intended use is - a spotting scope will not be much use to you in a forest for example. If it is for hill stalking then I suppose you might just be able to justify a spotting scope if you stalk alone but even with a spotting scope I think you will still need binos and the very thought of lugging a spotting scope up the hill makes me feel ill. If you are on the hill with a stalker and he doesn't have one then I would venture to suggest that you probably don't need one. I've never taken one on the hill and none of the stalkers I would be on the hill with have one either. Binos on the other hand are something you always need and will always use whether on the hill or in a forest so I would suggest you put the money into good binos and if you really feel you need one then you could get a spotting scope at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I think it depends what your intended use is - a spotting scope will not be much use to you in a forest for example. If it is for hill stalking then I suppose you might just be able to justify a spotting scope if you stalk alone but even with a spotting scope I think you will still need binos and the very thought of lugging a spotting scope up the hill makes me feel ill. If you are on the hill with a stalker and he doesn't have one then I would venture to suggest that you probably don't need one. I've never taken one on the hill and none of the stalkers I would be on the hill with have one either. Binos on the other hand are something you always need and will always use whether on the hill or in a forest so I would suggest you put the money into good binos and if you really feel you need one then you could get a spotting scope at a later date.
    I think you would be hard pressed to beat this advice, a good quality pair of binoculars are invaluable!!!!