Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Books?

Recommended Books?

Can anyone recommend a good book to assist with the training of a dog for deer stalking? My girlfriend has an 8 month lab pup. I have been doing basic obedience with him so far, but he will need much more work. I was thinking it might be good to train him to come deer stalking with me.

thanks in advance

Ug

Working with Dogs for Tracking Deer by Niels Søndergaard.

You can get it from the BDS again now i think. Very easy to read and understanding, lots of photos and covers nearly everything. There are others by Guy Wallace, but my preference would be sondergaard one.

Thanks very much Ill look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by tommydeer View Post
    Working with Dogs for Tracking Deer by Niels Søndergaard.

You can get it from the BDS again now i think. Very easy to read and understanding, lots of photos and covers nearly everything. There are others by Guy Wallace, but my preference would be sondergaard one.
    Great book, expensive but worth it. I got mine from the CLA Game Fair for £29!!!

Cheers

Ross

Tracking Dogs for finding wounded deer- John Jeanneney. I think there is a second edition out.

Both good books but, of the two, I would certainly get the Neils Sondergaard one first. Which reminds me, I must do a bit of tracking myself and recover my copy from whichever of my unreliable friends has it! JC

I agree both fantastic books. Been on the sondergaard course and he really does know how to train dogs. But the book reads purely for deer tracking and as if you are already quite confident in training. The pictures are also fantastic. Also the Danish often use their dogs purely for blood tracking therefore it doesn't really cover taking the dog stalking and the obedience and training for pre shot deer work. Unless you plan to shoot alot of deer and create a good well used tracking dog this may be a bit much.

The John Jeanneney book is less focused on tracking but more about the dogs in general. If this is your first dog and you only plan on shooting a few deer a year with little chances to work your dog blood trailling, I would pick this book. I found the sectins on having a powerful confident dog in the house very interesting(his views confirmed my own). I would think this book may be more suitable for you, saying that I love my sondergaard bible!

The guy wallace booklet is also really good and based more around taking the dog stalking than creating a tracking dog. Get this its very cheap and really worth it to give an overview of what to expect.

Read the Guy wallace book first, then expand by reading John Jeanneney book, then read the Sondergaard book.

Unless your shooting alot of deer and therefore getting regular tracking work or want to practice blood trailing regularly on laid trails you don't need a trailling dog. Also you have to work or practice regularly to keep a blood dog good. Its alot of work getting a dog to be a good standard and therefore a big commitment in time to keep it there.

Big difference between a stalking dog and a dedicated blood tracker, no reason you can't have both though.

Thanks very much for the advice. Have ordered the sodergaard book from the BDS website. I have had a look for some Guy Wallace books on amazon, but they seem to be hugely expensive (£60+). Ill have a look for the John Jeanneney book. Thanks again.

If you cast your net a bit wider than the game tracking books, and a couple of the better ones were mentioned above, then some of the literature relating to 'hunting the clean boot' or man tracking can be an eye opener and give far more of an insight into the scenting ability of your hound.

Here's a couple of reads I've found worthwhile adding to the shelf:

Scent & the Scenting Dog - William G. Syrotuck. (£8.18 on Amazon)

Contains excellent information on the biology of the dog's olfactory sensors and way they are used.

Tracking Dog: Theory and Method - Glen R Johnson. (£14.31 on Amazon)

Man tracking methods but the training and deployment of dogs to indicate Mercaptan, (the smelly part of natural gas), and microscopic leaks on a 92 mile section of deep buried pipeline in a Canadian winter, (after all other methods had failed), is jaw dropping to say the least. It's also good on how to psychologically condition the dog to the tracking situation - which is equally applicable to wounded game or 'clean boot'.

Go to the bds website the guy wallace booklet - Training deer for woodland stalking is £6

http://www.bds.org.uk/BOOKD15

The BDS website i think was the cheapest and most reliable, amazon kept me waiting for 6 weeks then said they ccouldn't do it
    Last edited by Dickyboy; 13-05-2011 at 21:25.