Wild Boar Keiler and Abnormal Buck

The last couple of weeks I have been busy in my permission in Germany with getting ready for the new season. This means checking all the high seats that they are save, repairing them where necessary, scouting for damage by wild boar to freshly sown mais / corn, putting up electric fencing around crops, scouting for roe, reparing the grassland where wild boar searched for larvea etc etc... It is nice to be busy but when you also stay up all night to get a shot at a wild boar it might be too much
clip_image001.gif
:eek:. Nevertheless had a lovely time and most of it I did with my dad, which gives a special touch that you can hunt and work together in this beautiful environment. We also made some new ladders out of timber we cut from the woodland. The state forestry commission has to give you the wood for free, as you use the highseats for damage control to woodland by roe, red deer and wild boar. You will have to cut the trees down and transport them yourself unfortunately.
During this last period I shot a couple of nice wild boars and a abnormal roebuck. One of the wild boars was a Keiler weighing 96 kilo’s. It turned out to have tusks of 16 cm long. Not too bad. The story behind it is rather nice. I was on the same high seat for a few nights I a row. I was after a keiler which comes here almost every night for the last 2 years. But he is very clever. Always comes from behind and takes wind for 20 minutes, circles the high seat and when he doesn’t trust it, he’s gone. I have seen him on several occasions, and only heard him many times more. Last week I heard him coming from behind because the leaves where very dry and made loads of noise. It stopped and I could hear it sniffing for wind. I very slowly turned, and saw him standing only 10 meters behind the high seat. I slowly reached over to open the window, opened it and wanted to secure it above my head. Shxxt no catch to secure it. I could not reach out for my rifle, aim and keep the window open at the same time:banghead:. Lucky boar…. Needless to say the next morning I fixed the catch ! Hope I will catch him another time.
The next night it started to storm, there was rain, heavy wind and lightning. I thought I better have a sleep, when I heard a large group of wild boar approach. They where still in the thicket in front of me. I could hear the young boar scream and heard the group restlessly run about. Every now and then the lightning bolts would lighten up the feeding area. Then it became pitch dark again. It was something of a horrormovie when suddenly 2 big black bodies where standing on the feeding area:scared:. I looked at it and when the lightning lit up the boars could see where the head was and how they where standing broadside. Picked up the rifle, aimed for the smallest body, crack first the shot and immediately after my shot the crack of the thunder. The one I aimed at dropped on the spot. It started to rain even more and I waited for 20 minutes. Then it stopped and I finally could have a look. Hmm nice keiler, dead at my feet. Then I realised I took the shot at the smallest one of the two, that promises something of the otherone…. :cool: Had some trouble getting it in the cooler but managed in the end.

The “abnormal” buck I had seen a couple of times before when it was still in velvet. I once shot a fox while the roebuck and a doe where only 30 meters from the highseat. They did not react, just stared briefly at the high seat and continued feeding. I decided to try and shoot it when in season. When it became the 1st of may it took me several outings because all the roe seemed like disappeared. I finally managed to get him luckily, after I declined on a nice 6pointer it came out on the meadow really late in the evening. I like the way the antlers are not beside each other but in front of each other, makes a nice trophy. Not a big buck, but it is also the experience and joy you get out of the spying and planning and the “strangeness” of the head itself that makes all of it worthwhile.

I include pictures of the animals and surroundings so you get a taste of the atmosphere.

The last couple of weeks I have been busy in my permission in Germany with getting ready for the new season. This means checking all the high seats that they are save, repairing them where necessary, scouting for damage by wild boar to freshly sown mais / corn, putting up electric fencing around crops, scouting for roe, reparing the grassland where wild boar searched for larvea etc etc... It is nice to be busy but when you also stay up all night to get a shot at a wild boar it might be too much
clip_image001.gif
:eek:. Nevertheless had a lovely time and most of it I did with my dad, which gives a special touch that you can hunt and work together in this beautiful environment. We also made some new ladders out of timber we cut from the woodland. The state forestry commission has to give you the wood for free, as you use the highseats for damage control to woodland by roe, red deer and wild boar. You will have to cut the trees down and transport them yourself unfortunately.
During this last period I shot a couple of nice wild boars and a abnormal roebuck. One of the wild boars was a Keiler weighing 96 kilo’s. It turned out to have tusks of 16 cm long. Not too bad. The story behind it is rather nice. I was on the same high seat for a few nights I a row. I was after a keiler which comes here almost every night for the last 2 years. But he is very clever. Always comes from behind and takes wind for 20 minutes, circles the high seat and when he doesn’t trust it, he’s gone. I have seen him on several occasions, and only heard him many times more. Last week I heard him coming from behind because the leaves where very dry and made loads of noise. It stopped and I could hear it sniffing for wind. I very slowly turned, and saw him standing only 10 meters behind the high seat. I slowly reached over to open the window, opened it and wanted to secure it above my head. Shxxt no catch to secure it. I could not reach out for my rifle, aim and keep the window open at the same time:banghead:. Lucky boar…. Needless to say the next morning I fixed the catch ! Hope I will catch him another time.
The next night it started to storm, there was rain, heavy wind and lightning. I thought I better have a sleep, when I heard a large group of wild boar approach. They where still in the thicket in front of me. I could hear the young boar scream and heard the group restlessly run about. Every now and then the lightning bolts would lighten up the feeding area. Then it became pitch dark again. It was something of a horrormovie when suddenly 2 big black bodies where standing on the feeding area:scared:. I looked at it and when the lightning lit up the boars could see where the head was and how they where standing broadside. Picked up the rifle, aimed for the smallest body, crack first the shot and immediately after my shot the crack of the thunder. The one I aimed at dropped on the spot. It started to rain even more and I waited for 20 minutes. Then it stopped and I finally could have a look. Hmm nice keiler, dead at my feet. Then I realised I took the shot at the smallest one of the two, that promises something of the otherone…. :cool: Had some trouble getting it in the cooler but managed in the end.

The “abnormal” buck I had seen a couple of times before when it was still in velvet. I once shot a fox while the roebuck and a doe where only 30 meters from the highseat. They did not react, just stared briefly at the high seat and continued feeding. I decided to try and shoot it when in season. When it became the 1st of may it took me several outings because all the roe seemed like disappeared. I finally managed to get him luckily, after I declined on a nice 6pointer it came out on the meadow really late in the evening. I like the way the antlers are not beside each other but in front of each other, makes a nice trophy. Not a big buck, but it is also the experience and joy you get out of the spying and planning and the “strangeness” of the head itself that makes all of it worthwhile.

I include pictures of the animals and surroundings so you get a taste of the atmosphere.

Hi Ruud
Nice write up mate., I'm glad your enjoying your new ground.

Maybe you can save the bigger one for me or I'll mess yoiur DVD's up ;) :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Ruud
Nice write up mate., I'm glad your enjoying your new ground.

Maybe you can save the bigger one for me or I'll mess yoiur DVD's up ;) :lol::lol::lol:

Great story Ruud.

One big one for me and one for you then Wayne!!

I can't wait to come over in September!!! After showing Julie the photo's she is not wanting to come nose to nose with one of those boar!!!

Speak soon.

Cheers

Ross

cracking write up! and what an odd looking buck that is.... ground looks fantastic, think i would actually donate an organ for a bit of ground like that!

Regards, Jez.

Rudd

A nice write up mate.

A very nice boar and a interesting buck.

Hope to see you in October when you are over with Wayne, I feel another breakfast meeting could be on the cards.

Regards

Jonathon

Thank you for the story and the pictures of the wonderful ground - you are making me want to get back out even though our season is closed here!

Back