Thread: SACS 1 day deer course worth doing ? (available in N.Ireland)

SACS 1 day deer course worth doing ? (available in N.Ireland)

hi,
    Has anyone done the 1 day SACS deer course ??
    they are offering the 1 day course over here in N.Ireland for 100 ! will it get me the level 1 certificate to allow me into syndicates etc etc ???
    is it worth doing rather than the BASC course which is 300 !
    i noticed on the application form it said "deer rifle course" but the course schedule covers all aspects of stalking. When i called them i was told it was a shorter deer course and a lot less expensive than the BASC course.
    any advice greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Bri View Post
    Has anyone done the 1 day SACS deer course ??
    they are offering the 1 day course over here in N.Ireland for 100 ! will it get me the level 1 certificate to allow me into syndicates etc etc ???
    No it's not the DSC1 course so no it won't get you the level 1 certificate. It's designed to meet the requirements of PSNI for applicants wanting an FAC with a deer condition on it at a reduced cost compared to DSC1 - do you need DSC1 to get into all syndicates? New one on me.

Here's what SACS say about PSNI insisting on applicants completing a course prior to FAC issue.

"Although this ‘requirement’ is not part of the law, it is not just an arbitrary decision made by PSNI - it is based on the Northern Ireland Office Guidance to Police on how to interpret the Firearms Legislation".

Further details are in the SACS magazine page 15 - http://www.sacs.org.uk/Sacs/Current%20Magazine.pdf

is it worth doing rather than the BASC course which is 300 !
    It's not just BASC who are running DSC1 courses, there are many other providers. Check out the DMQ website for details.

BTW. You've posted in the wrong section.

Ive done the SACS Deer Rifle Course in N.I and its well worth the money .Took over two days 1st day writing exams and a safety walk 2nd day the shooting test .all this for 100 and remember membership to SACS is not required so it is only the 100.If there a difference between this course and any other course (other than the name) i would like to know as i dont think there is..Same questions on the written exams and same safety tests..
    Also you may be told that the SACS course only covers you for a .243 this is not the case .

Is this the DSC1 SACS are running or another thing called the "Deer Rifle Course"? Never heard of it until now.

I did my DSC1 with SACS over two days a long time ago, must be at least 12 years ago. The course content was good and I thought pretty useful, but to be honest, I was not really impressed with the SACS handling of the course at that time. However, it did what I needed - got my box ticked for an FAC for a deer legal rifle.

A friend of mine did the DSC1 with the BDS here in NI a few years ago, I sat through a bit of it and helped him out with studying for the exam. I also went to the range day so he could shoot my rifle which he was used to. To be fair I thought it was a pretty good course and well worth the effort of doing.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I think its just the same as the rest off the courses
    DSC DEER STALKING COURSE or DRC DEER RIFLE COURSE