Thread: Another rifle left behind

Another rifle left behind

Just did a deal on a Midland 308 Rilfe, It is in very good order, & was the best on the shelf , amongsako's etc. I have to say its one of the better quality rilfes, with a forgotten name, i have shot. For an older little heard of Manufacturer .( I had a u/o shotgun by the same name some years ago, that was as good) . Good grade steel, blue is superb, machining is typical older Briish quality & wieght / balance is exellent. The wood is gorgeous, you dont see many about , but im glad i got this. If your in the market for a budget priced accurate rifle.....consider a Midland

I am sure some of you more mature lads will know a little more on this Name, I tried a 'google' but got a brick wall.
    Last edited by MrYou; 11-05-2011 at 17:29.

Is Midland an alias of Parker-Hale? Try that in search and you may get results.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Is Midland an alias of Parker-Hale? Try that in search and you may get results.
    I'm sure Parker hale used the surplus No4 actions of the Lee enfields after the war. It don't resemble, the crude spat out action of the No4. The Midland has a superb quality finish. No4's do the job ,i know i have 2, but i suppose when they churn out 24,000,000 actions of the Enfield , finish & detail aint the best on a mass mass produced item, needed for front line battles.

After some research- Seems parker hale used the mil sirp actions left over from various manufactures. starting with Enfield then mauser, when mauser actions dried up they indeed bought the midland company, in the 1990's they dried up in some legal wrangle.

Found this guy, He knows his stuff > http://www.normanclark.com/opening_p...ening_page.htm

Very underestimated rifles with superb barrels so im told, holding good groups up to 800-1000 yds beyond !! Good source says sub 2"
    Last edited by MrYou; 12-05-2011 at 14:47.

Parker-hale broughtt he Midland Gun Company some time after WW2 and made shotguns under the name. In the 1970's I believe it was without looking it up they introduced the Midland 2100 rifle which is a Springfield/mMauser hybrid. Using an American Springfield 03 type bolt and a special receiver made for Parker-Hale. It was their new entry level model. here is my slightly customised Midland 2100:-

Notice the 03 Springfield locking lug on the bolt.

Now P-H didn't start they line of Mauser actioned sporting rifles until their move to the old BSA Sparkbrook site in 1962 and in the tunnels of the range there they discovered a large cache of new Mauser actions and after getting the go ahead to use them they introduced the Safari line. They still sporterised Enfields right up into the late 1980's. Once this cache of original German Mauser actions dried up they had the receivers made for them. Late ones by Santa Barbara of Spain but it's rumoured they also used some FN actions. On the rare Hussar model the action was a BRNO.

The legal wrangle was when Modular Industries under the name Bremmer Arms acquired Parker-Hale and started making/building the Springfield 03. They then imported a few into the US and got in deep doo doo so wound P-H up damned sharpish and burned all the records to avoid mucho jail time in the US. We will probably never know the whole truth on the sordid affair but the records were burnt and Bill at Norman Clarks I believe saw it happen.

Mr You

I hope your Midland 308 is better than the one I had years ago, it was the worse rifle I have ever owned. Accuracy was poor, it struggled to hold under a 2” group at 100 yards despite all my best efforts, I tried all different factory ammo, in fact because none of these would group it prompted me to start handholding, that didn’t improve things too much. I spent more on ammo trying to get it to group than the rifle cost me, bear in mind that you could buy 20 for 7 then.

It would not feed reliability from the magazine; the cartridge would jump out of the extractor so you could not close the bolt, unfortunately if you didn’t notice the cartridge had not pick up, which you would not if you were using the rifle in anger the cartridge would then be jammed in the chamber leaving the rifle useless. You then had to get a cleaning rod and dislodge the cartridge with it from the muzzle. I tried loading all the cartridges to the back of the long 30-06 sized mag’ then all to the front, next only putting two in the mag’ etc even fitted a new extractor and ejector was fitted nothing worked. It went to 3 different gunsmiths.

At around this time Tikka released the 595/695 range of rifles, I went out and broke the bank buying a All Weather 595, what a revelation accuracy was 1” with factory ammo 5/8” with home loads and it never failed to feed ever.

But maybe you might have a good 2100.

ATB

Tahr

Thar,, sounds like you had a Gibbs one?

Hi Kevin

Out of interest how do you tell a Gibbs model? The one I had was a Mauser action and looked like a dogleg Springfield bolt was used.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Hi Kevin

Out of interest how do you tell a Gibbs model? The one I had was a Mauser action and looked like a dogleg Springfield bolt was used.

ATB

Tahr
    Sounds like the spanish left over cycle bin model. You see i have done some reaserch now I'll find the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Hale

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/pow...ing-input.html

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/pow...need-info.html
    Last edited by MrYou; 15-05-2011 at 13:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Hi Kevin

ATB

Tahr
    Thar,

Gibbs were "supposed" to mark their production but it seems they didn't mark them all. The whole thing it appears was very slap-shod from the word go. Their glossy brouchure proudly proclaims they brought the company and rights, which we know is a lie, and they would be manufacturing the entire centre fire range, another lie, what they did was buy up some parts and assembled some rifles from them it seems. It appears Gibbs did buy the rights tot eh Muzzle loaders and were loaned a set of pattern gauges which disappeared and never came back to the UK. Just another little illegal bit in the tie up. P-H never owned the gauges and they were on loan from the pattern room. The Gibbs rifles are often a mis mash of P-H models so Gibbs dreamt up their own labels like the 2600 .

I also heard that the entire first batch assembled by Gibbs failed proof.......... A real confidence booster.

Lucky for me I have not comae across a Gibbs (American) rifle. They also did a Quest carbine which was a Lee Enfield nickle plated and adapted to 45/70. These also have aproo reputation to bits falling off in recoil etc. The more I hear and learn about teh American Gibbs Rifle company the less I like. Sorry I cannot be of more help I even brought a Gibbs Rifle Company brouchure to learn more about them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrYou View Post
    Sounds like the spanish left over cycle bin model. You see i have done some reaserch now I'll find the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Hale

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/pow...ing-input.html

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/pow...need-info.html
    I am not sure where the receivers of the Midland 2100 were made............................ sorry. Wiki is not very reliable it seems. My information is mainly gleaned from Parker-Hale brouchures and fliers. The older ones have a lot of company history in them. The move to Sparkbrook was due tot eh redevelopment of the Birmingham gun quarter and their old building were demolished to make way for the Bull ring and the new centre centre re-development. This is printed in the from of the #63 catalogue.