Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which .243 for 500-600 ?

Which .243 for 500-600 ?

My brother is on the look out for his first .243 for fox & deer and wants to spend about 500-600 as money is tight and his first child is due at the start of June.

So far he's been looking at the:

Howa Lightening 1500 Hogue
    510 supplied with: Gameking 3-9x42 scope, Leupold Bases and Nikko Platinum Rings

Browning A-Bolt
    495 supplied screw cut

Does anybody have any other recommendations, or anything to say about the above?

Cheers

Edit: The rifle is for my brother who is British and lives in the UK, sorry I should have mentioned this earlier!
    Last edited by Jonher; 12-05-2011 at 13:28. Reason: Brother info.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

YES ! tell him to keep looking .

Try used Sako's or Tikka's both have better stocks actions and barrels than the above.

I would normally have said you can pick up a cracking SH older Sako for that sort of money. I would look on guntrader and expect to see a dozen rifles to choose from. I just looked, the options are much reduced, there seem not to be much SH for sale at a sensible price. Lots of new rifles at too much money.

Keep looking for a Sako, one will turn up in his budget. If he must buy a new rifle, the Howa is hard to beat, but the stocks are poor.

However, there is another option, 350 - 400 will buy a very nice little used CZ or Brno. Have a look at the listings.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I have just put a deposit on a Tikka M595 in .243 with sling and (cheap) scope which was up for sale at 495 and is like new. There are bargains to be had, and nice rifles to be found if he takes his time. Keep buying Gun Mart!

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

tikka m590 or m595 is the ones to look for. i know of a cracker for sale. but as your not from this country might be a bit of a sod with permit's etc

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    hi mate i could get you a tikka m590 with delux walnut stock and also a spare black plastic stock. it is screwcut also and is very accurate. the guy selling it only uses it for the odd stalk. as he uses his other rifles for vermin and fox control.

its in very good condition and the m590 action is one of the best factory action that has ever been made imo.
    This would be a very good option. Tikka 590/595's are great rifles.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

it is a cracker mate the guy selling it donest use it much. only for the odd stalk. as he uses his br and 17 cal rifle for vermin and fox etc.
    ideal keeping the wood stock for best and the black plastic one if your out in the crap weather etc

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

jay 22,

The rifle is for my brother, he's British and lives in the UK.

Can you please PM me the details and I will forwared it on to him?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    it is a cracker mate the guy selling it donest use it much. only for the odd stalk. as he uses his br and 17 cal rifle for vermin and fox etc.
    ideal keeping the wood stock for best and the black plastic one if your out in the crap weather etc
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

For that sort of money Tikka every time

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    YES ! tell him to keep looking .

Try used Sako's or Tikka's both have better stocks actions and barrels than the above.
    +1