Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you have shot it.

Would you have shot it.

Out this AM looking round an area I dont take many deer from for foxes mainly Silage has been cut. Saw two bucks making back to a wood about 70yds apart,the first made it into the wood 150yds away the second was slower and acting rather nervious it kept stopping looking moving a bit hunched it past within 50yds of me unaware I was there I put rifle in sticks and could have shot it on two or three occasions,but decided as I was 3/4 mile from transport not to shoot.two or three minutes after going into the wood barking started and out it came followed by the other one chaseing it.every time it slowed it got a prod in the rear, WOULD YOU HAVE SHOT IT AT FIRST SIGHT.They were both deacent six pointers
    After what I saw I kind of wish I had shot one of them but it would be one hell of a carry out given I had no roe sack etc was really after fox and a look round.Still enjoyed the walk

Would've popped one and then used a small incision to gralloch and a drag rope. You hardly notice you've even got a roe on a drag.

Would have shot it. Then worried about the drag after the event. Infect would have shot the one being prodded first.

I would have shot one too. Hopefully the one that was being bullied would have provided the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    Out this AM looking round an area I dont take many deer from for foxes mainly Silage has been cut. Saw two bucks making back to a wood about 70yds apart,the first made it into the wood 150yds away the second was slower and acting rather nervious it kept stopping looking moving a bit hunched it past within 50yds of me unaware I was there I put rifle in sticks and could have shot it on two or three occasions,but decided as I was 3/4 mile from transport not to shoot.two or three minutes after going into the wood barking started and out it came followed by the other one chaseing it.every time it slowed it got a prod in the rear, WOULD YOU HAVE SHOT IT AT FIRST SIGHT.They were both deacent six pointers
    After what I saw I kind of wish I had shot one of them but it would be one hell of a carry out given I had no roe sack etc was really after fox and a look round.Still enjoyed the walk

Stalking/ culling shouldn't stop because the quad is too far away - you must be getting old, whats wrong with the drag rope or slinging it over you shoulder like a handbag. On the other hand you may have too much stalking available so you can be selective!!!!!!
    TonyC

Shoot them both ??

One on each shoulder !

England, a large country south of the Scottish Border
    Agreed, you should have shot the one being bullied at least, its no big deal dragging (or slinging) a Roe any distance
    Never a Lender or Borrower be

Tony c as said I had nothing to even drag it with and on a farm where they like to see a few around.have you got the one I left for you yet you cannot shott them laid in bed or on a computer keyboard.just in case you have forggoten dawn is just before 4.30AM more than enough light by then in fact with this much moon deer are off to bed (stirr with BIG SPOON)
    Last edited by roedeerred; 12-05-2011 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    as said I had nothing to even drag it with
    What do think his antlers are for.

Moose

Should have shot one,,,,stops the other getting a sore ass