30.06 light load

Great post, nicholiath! In theory one can go as low as 110gn; are there any good recipes out there for the other sub-150gn loads in addition to the 125gn?

Hi, has anyone got any recipes for a light/comfy load for 125gn bullet in 30.06.

I do not publicly 'share' my loads ;), but will point you in the direction of accuratereloading there are plenty of reduced loads to have a look at - onus is on you to sort the wheat from the chaff! (search for seafire / b17, a blue dot experimenter - Try here for example)
The 'ought 6 with a sierra flat nose hollowpoint #2020 is really 'sweet' (sierra do not make that bullet any more...shame!).

Does it need to be deer legal or is this only a plinking type load you are looking for? If so then this might be worth a look, I've never tried the trail boss reduced loads but they look ideal for plinking or teaching someone to shoot without recoil or the like

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Note that there is data for the 30-06 but also a formula for making the powder and reduced load work with any cartridge. I don't know how you would modify the data from the 150 grain bullet published to a 125 grain but suspect that it would not be too difficult.

So for your 125gn @ 1900fps = 1002 ft.lbs. - for 2480 fps will make 1707 ft.lbs.
You should have an Idea of what you need now!

What sort of velocities should one expect for 110gn, 125gn, 130gn, etc <150gn? So as to put it in to the j0e_bl0ggs formulae. Cheers.

If you can lay hands on a Lee Vol II reloading book there is a chapter in calculating and developing reduced loads. I like 4895 IMR, or Hodgdon, for reduced loads. It can be loaded down to 66% of listed max safely.~Muir

What sort of velocities should one expect for 110gn, 125gn, 130gn, etc <150gn? So as to put it in to the j0e_bl0ggs formulae. Cheers.

First not everyone has quickload (which gives this information) so the online calculator is a quick way to find a velocity and energy.
I do use quickload and it is a useful tool when analysing and building a load.
That being said I do use my manuals and this is a quick way of looking through and sorting the printed data.

This little calculator is an easy, neat, quick resource as we have an energy requirement in our law regarding shooting deer.
You can ascertain from bullet weight and velocity what your 'requirements' are without expensive software and look up a probable load in your manual(s).

Using the example below for the 110gn bullet for your 'small deer round' requiring say 1k ft.lbs. at the muzzle you can see <2030fps will not make the energy requirement.

The top three rows above are active. Change any number and everything dependent on it will be recomputed.

Mess around with the calculator, to find your velocity for example you need ~2030 fps to achieve ~1000 ft.lbs with your 110gn bullet.

Hope this helps!

I think this calculator leaves out a drag factor. Try this

WT x Velocity Squared x .000002215 = energy

I get about 2100 fps needed to eclipse 1000 ft/lbs (1034) ~Muir

I think this calculator leaves out a drag factor. Try this

WT x Velocity Squared x .000002215 = energy

I get about 2100 fps needed to eclipse 1000 ft/lbs (1034) ~Muir

Ok Muir, with you wishing to be pedantic as usual and score points, I will no longer help with these enquiries.
Drag factor ffs, why complicate things?
As long as the guy was reasonably sure of finding something that would be close enough why worry?
How many plod out there looking over the shoulder with a chrono in hand? How many actually chrono their home loads?
In an attempt to supply some simple info you successfully turn it into a can of worms.

A couple of asides;
You strike me as a 'gunwriter'
Do you work for Lee? You seem to advertise his wares continually.

Last edited:
According to the muzzle energy computer to achieve deer legal M.E you only need to push a 125gn bullet at 2500 fps.

According to the muzzle energy computer to achieve deer legal M.E you only need to push a 125gn bullet at 2500 fps.

Exactly, as a result will also be a light 'kicking' round therefore pleasant to use.
BTW Don't get too hung up on details (see the 'drag' factor 5 decimals behind zero) you are sure to be fine with something close, just look at data you have available
and make your best guess (you know what you are using, compare to your book..barrel length etc.)

The minutiae that some would want you to digest is better learned through practice. Some old fart (me included) will do no favours by spoon feeding you
and the truth is until you get yourself a chrono and learn to use it this drag factor this, expert that is only academic!

I hope this has been some help without getting complicated!

Ok Muir, with you wishing to be pedantic as usual and score points, I will no longer help with these enquiries.
Drag factor ffs, why complicate things?
As long as the guy was reasonably sure of finding something that would be close enough why worry?
How many plod out there looking over the shoulder with a chrono in hand? How many actually chrono their home loads?
In an attempt to supply some simple info you successfully turn it into a can of worms.

A couple of asides;
You strike me as a 'gunwriter'
Do you work for Lee? You seem to advertise his wares continually.

I don't know about Plods. I don't worry about minimum requirements for velocity and energy because here we have no such requirements. It seems that you folks do tho. You Brits are constantly bickering about minimum velocities and energies. My Favorite? "the 6.5x55 with 160 grain bullets won't do 2400 fps so it isn't legal" one. (yawn!) I was simply concerned that the few fps would cause some kind of moral/legal/ tossing-and-turning-all- night-ethical problems for you guys if put to the test. The weight and velocity figures given fell 25 fps short of my own. I was just trying to help.

No. I don't work for Lee, but I do like their innovative approach to reloading gear and their book, especially. I make no secret about it. Anyone who has read it usually thinks so also: especially those who are willing to think for themselves instead of running to a web site for load data and answers to mundane, common reloading problems that are amply covered in any number of texts I've read. (Like, "is mixing different makes of brass OK?") You bet I like Lee's book. I also think Lee's bullet molds are delicate and second rate, their progressive presses are rickety, their scale difficult to use, and their powder measure pure junk if used with fine grained powder. Does that ease your suspicions?

I do some work within the firearms industry as a consultant, but my day job is as a Surgical Nurse. I retired from gunsmithing 15 years ago when -amongst other things- I got tired of working on other peoples' guns. I grew up in the company of an Uncle who was a gunsmith and an engineer. I was schooled and apprenticed in tool and die making before attending formal gunsmithing classes. When I realized that gunsmithing paid the shop bills, and groceries, but didn't allowed me to put away money for my children's education, I closed shop and returned to college for to pursue a more lucrative profession.

I do not remember a time when I wasn't shooting. My dad bought me my first rifle the day I was born and I'm told he put it over a stump and coaxed me to squeeze the trigger when I was three years old. I do remember shooting when I was five years old and I started hunting squirrels alone when I was 8 years old. I shoot every day the weather allows.

I load, or have loaded, for just under 100 different cartridges at last count, and have kept files of scattered notes on the odd ones over the years. I currently own a north of hundred firearms (more or less) of varying calibers and configurations but have probably owned over a thousand in my lifetime. I collect British and Finnish military rifles 1850 - 1950 within that group. I am an avid handgunner.

So there you are, Joe. That's my story. You beat it out of me: I hope you're satisfied.

Your turn. ~Muir

I don't know about Plods. I don't worry about minimum requirements for velocity and energy because here we have no such requirements. It seems that you folks do tho. You Brits are constantly bickering about minimum velocities and energies. My Favorite? "the 6.5x55 with 160 grain bullets won't do 2400 fps so it isn't legal" one. (yawn!) I was simply concerned that the few fps would cause some kind of moral/legal/ tossing-and-turning-all- night-ethical problems for you guys if put to the test. The weight and velocity figures given fell 25 fps short of my own. I was just trying to help.

No. I don't work for Lee, but I do like their innovative approach to reloading gear and their book, especially. I make no secret about it. Anyone who has read it usually thinks so also: especially those who are willing to think for themselves instead of running to a web site for load data and answers to mundane, common reloading problems that are amply covered in any number of texts I've read. (Like, "is mixing different makes of brass OK?") You bet I like Lee's book. I also think Lee's bullet molds are delicate and second rate, their progressive presses are rickety, their scale difficult to use, and their powder measure pure junk if used with fine grained powder. Does that ease your suspicions?

I do some work within the firearms industry as a consultant, but my day job is as a Surgical Nurse. I retired from gunsmithing 15 years ago when -amongst other things- I got tired of working on other peoples' guns. I grew up in the company of an Uncle who was a gunsmith and an engineer. I was schooled and apprenticed in tool and die making before attending formal gunsmithing classes. When I realized that gunsmithing paid the shop bills, and groceries, but didn't allowed me to put away money for my children's education, I closed shop and returned to college for to pursue a more lucrative profession.

I do not remember a time when I wasn't shooting. My dad bought me my first rifle the day I was born and I'm told he put it over a stump and coaxed me to squeeze the trigger when I was three years old. I do remember shooting when I was five years old and I started hunting squirrels alone when I was 8 years old. I shoot every day the weather allows.

I load, or have loaded, for just under 100 different cartridges at last count, and have kept files of scattered notes on the odd ones over the years. I currently own a north of hundred firearms (more or less) of varying calibers and configurations but have probably owned over a thousand in my lifetime. I collect British and Finnish military rifles 1850 - 1950 within that group. I am an avid handgunner.

So there you are, Joe. That's my story. You beat it out of me: I hope you're satisfied.

Your turn. ~Muir

Sorry Muir, not playing!
You are obviously the expert you load for more cartridges have more rifles hunted for longer. I prostrate myself in front of your greatness.
Couple of things
1 energy, for shooting deer in the UK there are statutes in force regarding minimum requirements, I dont care what you care about.
2 The 'I've got all the t-shirts' attitude wears a little thin (at least for me) Ease up on the minutiae so the new guys can digest - force feeding does not help.

I know that they are in force, Oh Subservient One, that's why I bothered to make that post -because I don't personally care about exact energy levels for my own sake, but I know they do in the UK. If you think I'd waste time correcting you about 25 ft/lbs of energy just to be "right" you seriously don't know me well enough: I'm the guy who thinks weighing powder charges is a waste of time and that Lee Classic Loaders are the greatest for beginners. I think I am on the record here for being an advocate of novices keeping it simple, so I am not sure where their indigestion comes from.

If you don't like my "all the t-shirts" attitude remember is was you who started the pi$$ing match, not I. I thought you wanted my bio and you got it. It isn't boasting, it's just what is. If you don't like who I am I can't help you. If you feel intimidated, I can't help you. I have no problems with you even tho I suspect you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Want me to quit posting? Just ask me to. In the mean time, relax a bit. It's Saturday and don't we take enough flak at work to last us for the weekend? Sheesh...:rolleyes:~Muir

I know that they are in force, Oh Subservient One, that's why I bothered to make that post -because I don't personally care about exact energy levels for my own sake, but I know they do in the UK. If you think I'd waste time correcting you about 25 ft/lbs of energy just to be "right" you seriously don't know me well enough: I'm the guy who thinks weighing powder charges is a waste of time and that Lee Classic Loaders are the greatest for beginners. I think I am on the record here for being an advocate of novices keeping it simple, so I am not sure where their indigestion comes from.

If you don't like my "all the t-shirts" attitude remember is was you who started the pi$$ing match, not I. I thought you wanted my bio and you got it. It isn't boasting, it's just what is. If you don't like who I am I can't help you. If you feel intimidated, I can't help you. I have no problems with you even tho I suspect you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Want me to quit posting? Just ask me to. In the mean time, relax a bit. It's Saturday and don't we take enough flak at work to last us for the weekend? Sheesh...:rolleyes:~Muir

Again, sorry Muir, not interested in a Pi**ing match or your bio, it would have been better if you understood the original post of this thread and how I tried to point the guy in the right direction. Remember you waded in with your 5 decimal 'adjustment' so don't blame me for starting anything.
Have a nice weekend.

Back