Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to get 308 without land?

Possible to get 308 without land?

Hi the land I had permission to shoot on wasnt cleared for 308 use, although I believe some places are suitable.

My question is if I book a few stalks (with no prior stalking experience) would a feo grant a 308 for me to use on those stalks, or would I need to do say 5 stalks then apply for variation with future stalks booked as well?

I am planning on doing a dsc1 at some point, and figure if after time I can get the 308 licence on a open licence then the certain areas on the permission I have which are safe to shoot I could then shoot on.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers
    Steve

I have my 308 on my ticket for target as well as deer. I am a member of a target shooting club and enjoy shooting some paper even out to reasonable distances on the military ranges when we visit. Being a member of such a club would give you good reason to have a 308 and you could then work on the deer aspect of it, the club membership would buy you time. I had the rifle for target before I ever got deer on my ticket.

The club also provides a useful safety net as if I should lose all my land as it means I still have good reason to keep the rifle which is another aspect worth thinking about. You might also find that you enjoy shooting with other club members, days out and the like.

I would contact BASC who have an accompanied stalking scheme at Thetford that would be ideal for first timers. I am sure the firearms team there would be able to assist.

Cheers

S

There is no requirement to join a target club or BASC to justify the 'good reason' needed to possess a .308 for deer stalking. That's not to say that either or both of those options might not be a good idea depending on your circumstances.

No reason why booked outings wouldn't satisfy the criteria though because the HO Guidance to police, (downloadable via the 'stickie' in the Legal Issues section of the forum), specifically mentions that good reason can be satisfied by booked outings and invitations:

13.10 The named land need not be owned or
    rented by the applicant, nor need they have
    regular or automatic access to it. Farmers and
    landowners may allow shooters to shoot on
    their land, for payment or otherwise, on a
    formal or informal basis. An applicant need
    not always nominate a piece of land as
    evidence of “good reason”, but in such cases
    the applicant may be required, where possible,
    to provide written evidence, for example from
    a relevant organisation, a professional pest
    controller or of a booking to shoot.

As you quite rightly say, an 'open' FAC will negate any land restrictions - which often makes a mockery of them.

Good luck with it.

My FLO here in Central Scotland will not issue a certificate unless you have written proof of land suitable for the calibre applied for and even then it will have to have a population of deer suitable for that calibre... pigeons, foxes etc will result in a no.

my shoot was only cleared for 243 ,i applied for 308 the fao said but you only have muntys on the shoot ,correct, i explained i wanted it for larger species too he cleared the shoot for 308 but would only allow me to use on shoot and places cleared for 308 although my ticket was open ,allowing after six months to open 308 .not ideal but got my 308, anywhere not cleared i took the 243

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    he cleared the shoot for 308 but would only allow me to use on shoot and places cleared for 308 although my ticket was open
    Where do they recruit these people from ?

you lads need to be more firm with the plod and take NO CR*P from them, i became a royal pain in the arse for them, and now its so so so easy for me its great .

they HATE dealing with me .

ATB

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    my shoot was only cleared for 243 ,i applied for 308 the fao said but you only have muntys on the shoot ,correct, i explained i wanted it for larger species too he cleared the shoot for 308 but would only allow me to use on shoot and places cleared for 308 although my ticket was open ,allowing after six months to open 308 .not ideal but got my 308, anywhere not cleared i took the 243
    bloody spupid that is how could you be open and safe on a 243 but not a 308.

if the worst did happen which bullet would travel futher ? me thinks 243

exactly what i said ,but he said it was the forces proceedure or some other bullcr*p ,anyway i think they make it up as they go along ,got there in the end .ticket is due for 4th renewal soon got a few things planned so that should make an interesting thread then