Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shot placement

shot placement

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on shot placement guys. I always wait for a deer to be full side on so that i can get a clear H/L shot. My question is, they don't always go fully side on, and i'm not too keen on the idea of head shots, but where on the kneck would ensure a clean kill and is there any other area that would result in a clean kill whilst limiting carcass damage?

ATB

Dave

Dave

http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk...otplace02.aspx

If you don't have a hard copy, I would recommend signing up for the SNH Best Practice Guide.

Regards JCS

There was a thread on neck shooting about a month back that is worth hunting down as there were some photos in it with neck shots etc. marked up.

For me one of the key points of the thread was made by Brian (Claret_dabbler) when he said that if you shoot for the middle of the neck then the spine is in the middle.

It goes without saying that you must be confident of hitting the spine and I've heard it described as trying to hit a garden hose hidden in a tumble drier outflow pipe concealed behind a curtain.

IMHO, You're taking the best shot. I've been hunting almost 50yrs. I've tried head and neck shots. On both, if you miss, by only an inch or so, you can inflict an awful wound that might take days to eventually kill. I went back to the top-of-the-heart-lung shot years ago. You can miss by several inches and still get you deer. Figgure out the angles and make that shot. You might ocassionally loose a shoulder, but jeeze, how much meat is that! capt david

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    IMHO, You're taking the best shot. I've been hunting almost 50yrs. I've tried head and neck shots. On both, if you miss, by only an inch or so, you can inflict an awful wound that might take days to eventually kill. I went back to the top-of-the-heart-lung shot years ago. You can miss by several inches and still get you deer. Figgure out the angles and make that shot. You might ocassionally loose a shoulder, but jeeze, how much meat is that! capt david
    +1

Use a soft point and shoot through the nearside leg well forward(on a quartering deer facing you) allowing the bulet to pass through the vitals and miss the other front leg on the way out.
    You should also miss the liver ect and a predicable sp will not fragment and bust the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post

dead right ive seen terrible wounds to deer from head and neck shots just pick your shot if you cant get a good broadside just wait or let it walk or get in a better position you will feel better about yourself for making the effort
    if its a wounded beast follow up then ive seen a sort of deer clock with a deer profile in various positions for 360 degrees if that makes sense with the aim points for each hope this helps

Thanks for all the replies folks. I reckon I'll stick with the full broads side, and if it doesn't present itself...well...there's always next time!

ATB

That's an admirable stance mate, but what the guys above are saying is that you can take quartering shots as long as you remember to visualise the position of the heart in the chest and shoot for that, rather than a spot on the outside of the beast.

In practical terms that means that as the beast comes closer to quartering towards, you aim further forward than you would do on the broadsideontothe nearside shoulder and as the beast tends more towards quartering away, you aim further back than rom the broadside position, aiming to exit from the farside shoulder.

You may loose a shoulder but in certain circumstances this is not a priority.