Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red/Sika Hybrid

Red/Sika Hybrid

Does any one have any good links to pictures of Sika/Red hybirds? Or what they think is a hybrid?

Ta,

Ali

Depends if its a first cross. They tend to look a bit like a young red staggie, but with a head similar to a Sika and a white caudiale patch that does not extend up over the haunch, unlike a Red which is a cream colour and can extend up over the haunch.

I have taken two first year crosses in the past 20+ years, but after they have crossed several times its not so easy to tell. The antlers also tend to be staright up I have noticed similar to a Jap, unlike a Red which goes out to the side and then up, if you get what I mean. Unfortunatly I didnt take any piccies back then, but I am sure if you google it there will be something.

ATB

Sikamalc

PS know strathpeffer well, was stalking the area over 25 years ago at castle Leod and Ben Wyvis, lovelly part of the world.
    Last edited by sikamalc; 14-05-2011 at 06:52.

Picture below of a true Sika. An excellent Red-stag and an F1 Sika/Red Hybrid which we shot in Co.Wicklow, Ireland many years ago.
    I shot the Red and the Sika and my companion shot the Hybrid.
    Unfortunately with hybridisation you can get any percentage of mix-up due to unseen genetic capabilities.
    However due to the huge Sika gene pool and the much smaller Red gene pool most Sika look normal.

My friend the late G.Kenneth Whitehead took a copy of my picture to an Intenational Sika Symposium on the Continent.
    HWH.

PICTURE MISSING, WILL TRY AGAIN.

SIKA, RED AND HYBRID.
    HWH.

Two walked in front of me near Glendevon and i have never seen such weird looking deer.

Another Sika/Red hybrid I shot.
    It has a nose bone 10.5 cm long and the prominent beam ridges of a typical adult Sika stag. Jap Sika nose bones are about 7.8 cm and Red 12.5/14 cm long.
    HWH.
    Picture to follow again !

hi,

do you have pictures similar but as hinds, i was out yesterday and i'd swear the hind was sika cross as its face just looked different.
    without seeing another picture its hard to explain what i saw but i also didnt see all of her just head and neck.

f.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi,

do you have pictures similar but as hinds, i was out yesterday and i'd swear the hind was sika cross as its face just looked different.
    without seeing another picture its hard to explain what i saw but i also didnt see all of her just head and neck.

f.
    I have no picture of a hybrid hind but the physical size is usually larger than a true Sika .
    HWH.
    [I still cannot get that last picture up, my Photobucket is playing tricks again.]

There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

The Sika/Red hybrid.
    HWH.