Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to stop your dog from crying out!

How to stop your dog from crying out!

So last night I brought the lab out for an evening stalk. Approached a nice stretch of woodland border which was 200 yds downhill from where I was. Could see a nice 6 pointer eating this or that, and making its way to where I cheekily planted some willow shoots that have lately been very popular for fraying

Anyway, tied the dog do a shrub and started crawling in closer, got to about 120 yds, and was probably about 1 minute from taking the buck, when all of a sudden a loud series of dog cries sound out over the entire area! of course, the excitement had got all too much for her, and she could keep her mouth shut any longer....buck was off,,,I was a little bit annoyed I have to admit.

Does anyone have any non-physical tips on how to train your dog to shut the 'F' up when sat/tied away from you for more than 2 minutes?

Also, she has oddly now started wanting to storm off to retrieve every time I fire a shot, rather than sit and wait by my side, to await a retrieve instruction - why has this cropped up and how do I correct it?

Used to have a problem with my one of my dogs whining and barking, sorted it out with a water pistol. All i'd do is hide from view and when he started give him a squirt. Worked a treat. (not that long either).

I think you will have to go back to the basics. When training her on retrieves don't let her fetch every one but make her sit and wait while you fetch some of the retrieves. Also practise making her sit or lie down while you move away from her. Start with short distances and when she is happy to wait until you get back to her then extend the distance. Any time she moves from the spot take her right back and re-enforce the command with a deep angry voice. When she is successful reward her with lots of praise and make a real fuss over her. You should be able to get to the stage where you can go out sight and she will still stay put and all of this without the need to tie her to a stake.

Hopefully once she recognises she is not going to get every retrieve she will calm down and not be vocal.

As with everything once a habit has been learned it takes a lot more time and effort to unlearn and retrain but stick with it.

Mulac

Quote Originally Posted by Mulac View Post
    I think you will have to go back to the basics. When training her on retrieves don't let her fetch every one but make her sit and wait while you fetch some of the retrieves. Also practise making her sit or lie down while you move away from her. Start with short distances and when she is happy to wait until you get back to her then extend the distance. Any time she moves from the spot take her right back and re-enforce the command with a deep angry voice. When she is successful reward her with lots of praise and make a real fuss over her. You should be able to get to the stage where you can go out sight and she will still stay put and all of this without the need to tie her to a stake.

Hopefully once she recognises she is not going to get every retrieve she will calm down and not be vocal.

As with everything once a habit has been learned it takes a lot more time and effort to unlearn and retrain but stick with it.

Mulac
    Wise words there Mr Mulac

I once had a friend whose springer started kelping when sat waiting on a drive. It used to drive him insane. So he resorted to the water pistol trick. When i asked him if it worked he said, and i quote, "I don't know boy, but it do make me feel better"!

Seriously though I agree with the afore said comments on going back to basics. Work up to long range work. Make sure your dog is happy to obey commands with you out of sight, that she is confident you will come back to her. I wish you the best of luck.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    I once had a friend whose springer started kelping when sat waiting on a drive. It used to drive him insane. So he resorted to the water pistol trick. When i asked him if it worked he said, and i quote, "I don't know boy, but it do make me feel better"!

Seriously though I agree with the afore said comments on going back to basics. Work up to long range work. Make sure your dog is happy to obey commands with you out of sight, that she is confident you will come back to her. I wish you the best of luck.

Simon
    Simon, nothing to do with dogs but I've got to challenge your signature, what about Charlie Faulkner, Bobby Windsor and Graham Price the Pontypool (and Welsh and two thirds British Lions) Front Row??

It is all down to you not the dog, sounds like it is a very sociable dog who wants to be next to you all the time , training is a constant thing that never stops ,plant the dog walk a few yards and plant yourself, then just keep adding to your distance each time .if the dog starts to howl straight back to it give it a shake use a more stern voice NO.

Use a whistle to bring the dog in and stop it, the stop is important if the dog does start to creep in, you can stop him( Ive used a whistle whilst out stalking to see the reaction to deer with a 410 1/2 the deer haven't bothered with it at all ) ,if you use it for game shooting let him see you picking up a few retrieves it will steady him down watching you pick it up yourself ,when I'm training springers i throw out two or three dummies ,then go and pick each one take one back drop them at the place where i was standing then go and pick another one and do the same , it steadies the spaniels and shows them i can pick them up myself .

I like the water pistol one at 200 yds i want one of those
    Last edited by widows son; 15-05-2011 at 10:16.

I don't think the excitement got to much for her, more the fact that that in her eyes you abandoned her.

Go back to basics, if you did the basics first that is.

Before you take her stalking take her to a place where there is no distractions of game scent, and practice your sit and wait, walk off a couple of paces then back to her, if she moves do not react vocally just take her collar and push her back to the spot you left her. then back off one or two paces, build the distance over a week, keep training sessions to 15min. then start to mix it up, go 20 paces 5 back towards her then 10 to the let then 5 back then go to her etc keep her guessing. But always go back to her and when you do praise her lavishly. once she has this step out of sight for 1/2 second, then back, again slowly build it up.

Then go to the retrieves as said above.

You need to build her confidence that you will always return and she doesn't need to come find you. I can leave my dog on drop for, well forever, he just will not move!

A stalker i knew tied his dog to a tree while he assessed a student stalkng a buck, the dog chewed through the lead and chased teh deer, alot of embarrassment for him. As you can see you are not the only one to have gone stalking too early but tying rarely gets results.

Once im happy with the dog sitting and staying i like to get round behind the dog ,to start with i sit them down and walk around a building and come round behind them , they will still be watching the dirrection that you departed from,if the dog starts to move blast the whistle to drop her back down, but dont let her see you unless she is going after you, then its time to run in and drag her back.Its another mind game letting the dog think you can always see her.....

+1 to nell extra bit