hornady sst bullets any good ?

Distinguished Member
Hi

Im new to reloading, has anybody got any firsthand experence of these sst bullets im thinking of buying some 150 grain ones for my 308 (for my first reloading job :eek::eek:).

what are they like meat damage wise , say compared to a softpoint ????

will mainly be shooting fallow deer.

ATB

Dave

ive used SSTs in .284 and .308 in 139gn and 150gn respectively. Both give a lot more meat damage than something like hornady soft points or sierra game kings. Ive never had any horror stories with them, just a fair bit of meat damage, for instance, when hitting a rib on the way in and out, i got 2'' entry and slightly bigger exit whereas with interbonds i was getting a half inch entry and exit. The SSTs definitely put the deer down, so are very effective in that respect. Depends what you want, deer dropping on the spot with a bit of meat damage or a deer which may run a bit but less damage. These are only my personal findings.. ive probably only shot 15 deer with them.

I shot a big sika stag with the SSTs and gave a good sized exit wound, it dropped on the spot.

i cant have any runners due to the way my land is layed out, so i think sst it is then, to drop them where they are.

thanks for the reply ffm.

ATB

Dave

Hi,
Ive been reloading with these for 3 years now and no complaints, i also shoot .308 cal with the 150g SST's there good mate, shot a lot of Roe with these, as well as Fallow and i can honestly say not noticed any more damage than with my .243, ive still had Roe run on from a 80yrd shot all about shot placement!!!!!
Stu

hi mate ive only used them in 243 but have found them excellent i was recomended them by a few people and there all still using them regards john h

I have used them for years, shot hundreds of deer with SSTs, from Munties to Red Stags. I have used them in 6mm 30cal and 270, no complaints. I can not say the meat damage was particularly worse than the old soft points I used before. Putting the bullet though the ribs and keeping “off the shoulder” keeps the meat damage down, but if you want them down on the spot you may opt to shoot them though the shoulder anyway.

ATB

Tahr

I use them in .264" 129gn and they stop fallow, roe, muntjac and fox. I have not noticed any massive meat damage, in fact i get considerably less than i did with RWS 140gn and about the same as federal 140gn Powershok.

Simon

have used 117grain sst in 257 cal. and they knock down reds and fallow very well,never noticed any more meat damage than a soft point bullet.well worth the money
bob

I use 129 grn sst,s and i just put the bullet through the sholder no runners n hassel and i shoot on the edges of motoways and housing schemes

I have used 150gn SST in my 30-06 for many years. They are very accurate, kill deer quickly and in my opinion don't cause excessive damage. You won't go far wrong with the SST.

Cheers
OT

Hi,

I have used 150 grain SSTs and have for quite a while. Carcass damage is comparable with any other make of bullet head. Most will make a proportion of the front end of the carcass unusable due to blood being forced between the seams of the meat, but for accuracy and stopping ability the 150 grain SST will suit your needs.

Best of luck with your loading!

Back