Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potassium permanganate

Potassium permanganate

I have heard of people using Potassium Permanganate to stain antlers, I have a couple of good ones not long out of velevet what is the process and where do you get the Stuff from?

Dave

You can get it from any chemist. It can come in a pill style or crystals. Add water to make a paste. I've stained other items with it, never antlers, but it does tend to wear off after a while.

Get it from any pharmacy

I get mine from a chemist and mix with water but not to a paste, I just put water enough to dissolve the chrystals so roughly 4oz of water to a teaspoon heaped full of chrystals.
    Then paint it on with a small paint brush, the liquid will look purple but it actually burns the bone brown when left on.
    Keep applying until you have the colour desired then buff with a stiff scrubbing brush.

we use it for fumigateing incubators with famaldahyde.

Gamekeepa feeds will have it in large pots for little money They have a website.

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

I got mine from chemists in 2oz jars, I haven't bought any for a long time but I think it was only a couple of quid.

It can also be used to darken wood like gunstocks.

KMnO4, lovely stuff, you can make all sorts interesting things with Pot permang
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I have only used it when you could dock your own pups, sealed up the end in a nano second and no blood, got it in poweder form from the chemist, keep it off your skin or you will have purple skin for weeks, I know been there!

Bod