Hows your game crops in this dry weather??

If you want to remove the deer problem try sunflowers neither the red or the fallow seem to touch them where as with maze the reds come in with the efficiently of a foraging gang as soon as it flowers

Ours went in Monday and tuesday last week 30th and 31st of May up 2 inches today 9th june and will catch up with all the early drilled stuff in a week or two. We had not had rain for about 12 weeks and got some over the weekend before we drilled:Dcould not be better.

Mark

Hasn't stopped raining up here since 5th May been rain at sometime each day since then.

we need more rain here.. ive only got about 4 acres, one acre of canary grass gone in this year and 3 acres of mixed stuff, on one plot of 2 acres its going well, but on another it hasnt even germinated! :-S

the maize looks well more fert went on today ,and the elephant grass was so good i gave it a hair cut .had a few rabbits to deal with ,rain this wk end should do world of good :)

been plenty of rain now and some sun/heat.
same field coming on a treat now
gc.jpg

gamecrop.jpg

I had rabbit problems even with triticale so switched to sorghum, medium height. It has turned out very well as a cover crop and the rabbits leave it alone. This year has been difficult with the drought. As usual the weed has outgrown the kale and soghum but now we've had rain hopefully it will sort itself out.

Currently releasing my partridges in 20x10ft pens into this, this week.
Best look on I've had game crop wise for years, will deffo do this mix again, but will get 10% more red kale in it next year.
08072011780.jpg

Our mixed wild bird cover crops under the Upper Stewardship level are looking sicker than yours in your opening pics. Just no rain at all to speak of for some months. We have 4 chickory plots though that are simply brilliant. two second year ones are drilled and over seven feet tall, two fourth year ones in heavy soil are starting to have a few open patches now but will provide excellent cover this season. If any of you are fed up with weeds, flea beetle, crows, lack of rain etc etc then get some chickory in and relax. Put a nurse crop in with it the first year ( millet etc) then do nothing at all for the next three or four years.

A

sounds interesting i have two smallish plots that i'd like to get away from maize next yr is it drilled with a normal drill ect our farms kit is so dam big .

Last edited:
sounds interesting i have two smallish plots that i'd like to get away from maize next yr is it drilled with a normal drill ect our farms kit is so dam big .

I am not IC of the plots but I think they use a standard maize drill. It must be drilled in rows to allow the birds to move around in it. Your seed supplier will advise further.

A

thanks the farm does around 120 acres of plots for the estate next door and my little patch in comparison sure they know whats what i am all maize and elephant grass which i really like as the[ pigs ] dont eat it ,but i want something easy to manage and longer lasting ,this could fit the bill.

if thats the case it will all be chicory john lol :Dnot far from home the deer are hammering the maize plots off to move some seats this week ready for the 1st

look at the end of this video a doe in 2nd year chicory late in the day picking off the blue flower.
They also like the growing green matter which looks like dandilion leaf's.

looks just job have two spots in mind out of the prevailing wind next to a heavily wooded brook where what roe have visited me have settled if only for a short time ,just trying to make things a bit more deer friendly and produce a few nice birds !

Back