Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food while stalking

Food while stalking

It is always a pain deciding what to take to eat on a day out and, especially in winter, it can be nice to have something warm. Thing is that there tend not to be a lot of options in most of the remote places we stalk and so you just have to bring it along with you.

I've also found that buying stuff to make a lunch for a day out is often a waste as you might only get one day out in the week and so you have to throw some of it out so this means that the sandwich for the day can be quite expensive.

With this in mind I've taken to trying some self heating food and I think I've found a good solution in the shape of these people:

http://www.hotpackmeals.co.uk/hotpacks.html

The food gets pretty hot, which is more than can be said for some similar systems, and I've found it tasty. For me the big advantage is that it also saves time as if I decide to go stalking, or fishing, right now I don't have to spend an hour running to the shops for stuff to make a sandwich. I just throw one of these hot pack meals into the rucksack and I'm away. I usually keep a few of them lying about in the car as well so if I, or someone else, forgets their lunch I'm able to provide. At less than 60 for 12 of them delivered I also think they are reasonable value for money.

I've no conection with the company other than as a satisified customer but if you are looking for some handy self heating food to sustain you on the go it is certainly worth checking these out.

Just go "skip diving" in a local barracks immediately after an exercise, you'll come away with as much bacon and beans, and fruit dumplings in butterscotch sauce as you can carry
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I thought 'skip diving' was another term for going down on an Essex girl...

A good carb breakfast & a flask of hot peppered bovril does me. Anymore & im bloated , & no good.

Wide neck flask warmed with boiling water, empty it and put cocktail stick sausages in it the have been heated in the microwave takes minutes and a wee tube mustard sauce and you are sorted for a hot snack on a cold day, beat sandwhich anytime!

Bod

But I like a bit of variation Bodach! I get to pick my menu :-)

Mars bars. I am a massive fan of a completely nutrition based diet!

Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    Mars bars. I am a massive fan of a completely nutrition based diet!
    Damn straight. I once lived on Mars bars and Marathon's for nearly three days. Stuck in some god awful ****hole in the Czech Rep where the food was beyond rubbish.....

Philip, that is not a bad idea. Was fishing on the Erne yesterday and got totally soaked and pissed off. Fetched up on an Island and had to light a fire to get warmed and make tea. One of those MRE type things might be an idea.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Damn straight. I once lived on Mars bars and Marathon's for nearly three days. Stuck in some god awful ****hole in the Czech Rep where the food was beyond rubbish.....

Surely nothing can be worse than belgian food...surely!

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Philip, that is not a bad idea. Was fishing on the Erne yesterday and got totally soaked and pissed off. Fetched up on an Island and had to light a fire to get warmed and make tea. One of those MRE type things might be an idea.
    The reason I thought to post was because I was ordering up some for my traditional (I have to walk my traditional route you know!) June trip for trout to the Hebrides. Needless to say if you want a couple of them to try let me know.