Thread: "REVISED" AMMO EXPERAMENT

"REVISED" AMMO EXPERAMENT

hello all
    This top section has been posted before on SD but I have carried out some revised tests with four other types of ammo . I have inserted this within the original post and my limited experience when using these bullets on deer.
    I have always wanted to see how bullets perform upon striking the target over the past months I have run through my mind different ways of testing the performance of bullet heads to see how they will expand , depth of penetration ,retained weight of bullet and size of the wound channel created.

I managed to get a free afternoon in my busy dance card so this was it, I’m checking what happens to the heads after they hit the target.

I choose 8 different types of head one of which is standard factory ammo all in .243/6mm

1/ federal 100gr soft point factory ammo
    2/ Hornaday SST 95gr home load
    3/ Speer Hotcore 90gr home load
    4/ Nosler Partion 85gr home load
    5/ Nosler partion 100gr home load
    6/ Sierra pro hunter 100gr home load
    7/ Barnes TSX 85gr home load
    8/ Hornady V-max 75gr home load

I choose to shoot targets at 100 and 200 meters and see what happens. first problem of the day I checked the cupboard and I am all out of ballistic gel (I knew there was something I forgot in tesco).

I used the next best thing to military grade ballistic gel "ARGOS CATOLOGS" I soaked the inside pages first with the sprinkler on the hose pipe then let the catologs soak for five mins under water. what you get is a very expanded catolog I squeezed out the excess water and the books were now approx 4" thick.

I wrapped two catologs together with tape to make one block then wrap that in cling film to hold the moisture in. one block is approx 8" thick and with squeezing out the excess water still very firm and tough.

I set these blocks out at 100 and 200meters , the results are as follows

1/federal 100gr soft point factory ammo
    @ 100m bullet stayed within first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 6-7" the head of the bullet expanded to 12mm in a classic mushroom shape and the bullet retained 68% of its original weight, nice big wound channel (50p piece size)
    @ 200m again the bullet penetrated to 6-7" expanded to 15mm in a classic mushroom shape and retained 69% of its original weight, nice big wound channel(50p piece size)

2/Hornaday SST 95gr home load
    @ 100m bullet stayed within first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 6-7" the head of the bullet expanded to 11mm in a classic mushroom shape and the bullet retained 54% of its original weight, nice big wound channel (2p piece size)
    @ 200m again the bullet penetrated to 6-7" expanded to 12mm in a classic mushroom shape and retained 58% of its original weight, nice big wound channel(10p piece size)

3/Speer Hotcore 90gr home load
    @ 100m bullet passed through first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 2" into next block 10"of penetration. the head of the bullet expanded to 10.5mm in a classic mushroom shape and it retained 49% of its original weight nice wound channel (2p piece size)
    @ 200m again the bullet penetrated to last page of the first block expanded to 12mm in a classic mushroom shape and retained 66.5% of its original weight, nice wound channel(2p piece size)

4/ Nosler Partion 85gr home load
    @ 100m bullet passed through first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 4" into next block 12"of penetration. the head of the bullet expanded to 12mm in a classic mushroom shape and it retained 75% of its original weight nice wound channel (bit bigger than a 1p piece size)
    @ 200m bullet passed through first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 4" into next block 12"of penetration. the head of the bullet expanded to 11mm in a classic mushroom shape and it retained 82% of its original weight nice wound channel (bit bigger than a 1p piece size)

5/Nosler partion 100gr home load
    @ 100m bullet passed through first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 3" into next block 11"of penetration. the head of the bullet expanded to 11mm in a classic mushroom shape and it retained 70% of its original weight nice wound channel (bit bigger than a 1p piece size)
    @ 200m bullet passed through first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 4" into next block 12"of penetration. the head of the bullet expanded to 11mm in a classic mushroom shape and retained 80%of its original weight.

6/Sierra pro hunter 100gr
    @100m bullet passed through first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 1.5" into next block 9.5"of penetration. the head of the bullet expanded to 15.5mm in a classic mushroom shape and it retained 80% of its original weight nice wound channel (50p piece size)
    @ 200m bullet passed through first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 2" into next block 12"of penetration. the head of the bullet expanded to 14.5mm in a classic mushroom shape and retained 90%of its original weight.

7/ Barnes TSX 85gr
    @ 100m bullet passed through first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 4.5" into next block 12.5"of penetration. the head of the bullet expanded to 13.5mm in a classic TSX shape and it retained 100% of its original weight nice wound channel (bit bigger than a 2p piece size)
    @ 200m bullet passed through first block (2 Argos books) penetrated to 4" into next block 12"of penetration. the head of the bullet expanded to 13mm in a classic TSX shape and it retained 100% of its original weight nice wound channel (bit bigger than a 2p piece size)

8/Hornady 75gr V-max
    @ 100m bullet stayed within first block penetrated 6” what was left of bullet measured 12.5mm in and was flattened like it had been hit with a hammer it retained 22% of its original weight with a big wound channel ( bigger than a 50p piece size)
    @ 200m bullet stayed within first block penetrated 6” what was left of bullet measured 11mm in and was flattened like it had been hit with a hammer it retained 32% of its original weight with a big wound channel ( bigger than a 50p piece size)

I discovered the penetration at 200m was almost the same as @100m but the wound channels were slightly smaller, the bullets also retained far more weight at 200m poss. due to less velocity violently expanding the bullet.

I shot 3 of each bullet @ 100m & 200m (6 of the TSX)and took to average weight and bullet expansion all bullets were very uniformed and controlled in how they acted all were within 1-2gr of retained weight and 1-2mm of expansion, the TSX were all the same with expansion and weight retention

I have used the following bullets on deer and my results are as follows.(all fallow deer)

1/100gr pro hunter -1 deer shot @ 120m heart/lung (H/L) took a couple of steps then dropped 1.5” exit wound and dinner plate size bruise on entrance and exit wounds . Bullet fragments found within deer on butchering

2/ 90gr hot core - 3 deer shot between 70m-150m 2x H/L and 1x shoulder shot, on H/L shots one deer ran 100m before dropping the second 12 paces ,the shoulder shot dropped to shot. Massive exit wound 3.5-4”and huge bruising on all deer on exit wound side. Bullet fragments found within deer on butchering

3/ 85gr Barnes TSX 5 deer shot between 70m-186m 3x shoulder 2x H/L all three shoulder shot dropped to shot ,2 x H/L took 6-8 steps before dropping 1-1.5” exit wound and very little bruising . No bullet fragments found within deer on butchering

4/ 75gr V-max lots of fox shot between 50m-250m very destructive and outstanding fox bullet on some quartering to shots you get no exit wound others you almost cut foxy in two .

I hope the revised version will help …………….Neil

good work

thanks for this niel,
    it is great work. I really like the speer hotcor bullets and use them in my 7mm. i think they are under rated.

i used some gamekings in my '06 but found they broke up quite dramatically so don't use them now.

steve