Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: swede down load

swede down load

Im shooting a 25yd indoor gallery & wish to download my swede 6.5 for this fun milatary comp. Do any you guys have a safe down load or know of a recepie for this unreal distance , not topping 645 joules/ 1710 fps max ! Thats the challenge . I have 100/120 & 140gr heads
    Thanks
    Last edited by MrYou; 17-05-2011 at 17:00.

Cast boolit with around 4.0 gr of Viht 320 (start at 3.0 gr and work up in increments of .1 gr)
    Slug your barrel as it is likely that a military Swede usually has a groove diameter of .268" unlike the .266 of a sporting rifle. Use a cast boolit at least .001" over groove diameter. The standard Lyman moulds are undersized for the military boolit!!!

This might be worth a look:

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Although there is no data specific to your cartridge there is info on the first page for how to work out what load to use for any cartridge. Of course you'd probably have to chrono it to get velocity but that would be no big deal.

exellent , cheers guys

Remember that extremely light loads with lots of unfilled space in the cartridge can intermittently produce detonation resulting in extremely high pressures.
    Just take care to use properly developed loads as published by the powder manufacturers. OR USE BLACK POWDER or Pirodex - you wont get the pressure but you will need to scrub everything out afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Remember that extremely light loads with lots of unfilled space in the cartridge can intermittently produce detonation resulting in extremely high pressures.
    Just take care to use properly developed loads as published by the powder manufacturers. OR USE BLACK POWDER or Pirodex - you wont get the pressure but you will need to scrub everything out afterwards!
    Best re-research that. You make an incorrect assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    This is generally with the slower rifle powders which is why pistol powders are quoted by myself above, as they burn much faster and are not prone to detonation.

Thanks again, I am aware this is fact, too low as well as too high a load can be ....................ouch !! Hence advice & experience request

Sounds like fun. Let me know how you get on and the load you end up using. Sounds like a good bunny round

JAYB has light cast bullet loads for the 6.5 and 243 both, I think.~Muir