swede down load

MrYou

Im shooting a 25yd indoor gallery & wish to download my swede 6.5 for this fun milatary comp. Do any you guys have a safe down load or know of a recepie for this unreal distance , not topping 645 joules/ 1710 fps max ! ;) Thats the challenge . I have 100/120 & 140gr heads
Thanks

Last edited:
Cast boolit with around 4.0 gr of Viht 320 (start at 3.0 gr and work up in increments of .1 gr)
Slug your barrel as it is likely that a military Swede usually has a groove diameter of .268" unlike the .266 of a sporting rifle. Use a cast boolit at least .001" over groove diameter. The standard Lyman moulds are undersized for the military boolit!!!

Remember that extremely light loads with lots of unfilled space in the cartridge can intermittently produce detonation resulting in extremely high pressures.
Just take care to use properly developed loads as published by the powder manufacturers. OR USE BLACK POWDER or Pirodex - you wont get the pressure but you will need to scrub everything out afterwards!

Remember that extremely light loads with lots of unfilled space in the cartridge can intermittently produce detonation resulting in extremely high pressures.
Just take care to use properly developed loads as published by the powder manufacturers. OR USE BLACK POWDER or Pirodex - you wont get the pressure but you will need to scrub everything out afterwards!

Best re-research that. You make an incorrect assumption.

This is generally with the slower rifle powders which is why pistol powders are quoted by myself above, as they burn much faster and are not prone to detonation.

Thanks again, I am aware this is fact, too low as well as too high a load can be ....................ouch !! Hence advice & experience request :)

Sounds like fun. Let me know how you get on and the load you end up using. Sounds like a good bunny round :rofl:

JAYB has light cast bullet loads for the 6.5 and 243 both, I think.~Muir

Not that light, from memory I think I got the 6.5 down to about 1600 fps with a 170+ grain cast round, it was a long bugger and I would not want to shoot that at indoor range without a substantial backstop. The 243 was 2000+ fps.

John

I am amazed and never heard of gallery shooting on a 25m range especially with a 6.5x55, I would like to see that, but at much lower pressures I thought the case would not seal the chamber and you would get blowback. You learn something new every day! :eek:

I have brought this up before, and I hesitated to do it again, but think it's an important concept: Pressure and velocity aren't always directly related. An example is in a 308 using 46 grains IMR 4350 and a 150 grain bullet, the pressure is 36.6K and the velocity around 2400 fps. Using 13 grains of RedDot and the same weight bullet, the velocity is 1770 fps and the pressures 40.8K.

Just wanted to clarify that low velocity isn't always accompanied by low pressures, so blow back won't necessarily be a problem.~Muir :coat:

Best re-research that. You make an incorrect assumption.

Hi Joe, Incorrect assumption?? Please put me right. I based my statement on what I have read. Vihtavuori put a caution note in some of their leaflets regarding partly filled cases and I quote:-
"In an only partly filled case the powder evidently burns unevenly and in some and in some extreme cases a pressure wave may be produced in the case which may even break the weapon"

With black powder and Pyrodex you should get lower pressures than nitro, but again you shouldn't ever leave air gaps in a load for the same reason. That is why many black powder loads use buffer materials to fill the case.

The reason for my earlier post was as a gentle warning not to trust unproven loading data.

I have proven loads some place stored in the pc, from a chap in sweden of all places :doh:, I seem to remember something about an alloy cast bullet loaded for the 6.5, I just hope it turns up, some where in my sysytem.
Just dont hold ya breath.

I do know.
140gr head/7gr red dot gives 974fps & 400 joules.
140gr head/10gr red dot gives 1206fps & 613 joules

;)

Back