Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 UK Bowhunting Websites

2 UK Bowhunting Websites

For anybody wishing to find out more info on Bowhunting have a look on these sites.

bowhuntscotland.elrig.net

http://www.britishbowhuntersassociation.co.uk/

Enough poor shooting with high power rifles without firing sticks at bonnie beasts... keep it in America.

Bowhunting a way of life-:

It seems that there are people here that have no IDEA about bowhunting, and then they will have an opinion about the same,bowhunting takes lots of skill, one must stalk into a very close distance, thus improving ones STALKING skills, one must understand the animal they are hunting, use the terrain, wind etc to get in close, not just sit out at 200+ metres and bang one with the rifle. I thought this was a stalking site, if so, why do people have adverse reactions to bowhunting,

Enough poor shooting with high power rifles without firing sticks at bonnie beasts... keep it in America.
    Bowhunting is just not only in America, bowhunting is in Australia, New Zealand, South africa,and many other countries in the world, bowhunting is very very big in New Zealand, and they are very good at bowhunting, the Tahr and chamios have been taken with the bow and arrow in New Zealand, that takes a mighty effort to get close to those animals..

To say that bowhunting is unethical, is in my opinion miss-informed, a WELL placed sharpened broadhead will KILL any animal on the planet, but then the attitude of the bang stick people is that their way is they only way, more animals are lost by poor shots, long distance shots, and just plain poor shooting,

In Australia we have this same attitude to hunting, the stalkers don't like the doggers, trap shotgun shooters don't like the duck hunters, the target archers don't like the bowhunter, these people are of the opinion that the others could be banned for all they care, but what these groups do not understand ( or are ignorant) once one group is banned the Greenies move onto the next group, we have the RSPCA pushing at the moment for a ban on bowhunting in this country, they are pedalling the same miss-information that most have on this site about the effective hunting use of the Bow and arrow, thankfully we have some great groups and people that can discount all this miss-information.

All i say is for people to have an open mind, just because bowhunting is not your cup of tea, don't knock others that do like bowhunting,

When i was growing up over here in OZ, we learnt about the archers from the old country, even Robin hood and his merry men, hunting Red deer ( poaching of course), to hear that bowhunting is banned in your country, and to read some of the opinions from people over there that agree with this, even though they do not seem to have any idea what is required to take an animal with the bow and arrow, it's a shame that one does not keep an open mind on matters...

anyway end of my rant....

Cheers,
    Rick

for those that are interested-log onto to this site-:
    http://www.aussiebowhunter.com/
    Last edited by RickO; 18-05-2011 at 00:38. Reason: adding info

Quote Originally Posted by RickO View Post
    but then the attitude of the bang stick people is that their way is they only way, more animals are lost by poor shots, long distance shots, and just plain poor shooting
    Lets not get into who's the worst offender regarding who wounds more than the other, there was a thread on here not to terribly long ago that fairly dragged on with neither side really making head way.

I think what red dot is say is that he see's no place for bow hunting here in the UK, I presonnally don't see a problem with it. BUT I really doubt it will catch on up around me, I don't think many people will be happy with it either. And currently what is to stop some half wit buying a bow and arrow and going out and just having a go? Atleast with current UK stalking there is a requirement to prove to the rozzers that you are of a sound frame of mind and competent enough to hold a FAC , as distinct to being a recless cowboy.

aliS

you have to remember that a lot of brits are terified of change or any thing new!
    which is why laws never change !

They are 1 of the few countries were bowhunting is banned and they are missing out on a revenue generating sport and a lot of fun!
    Which is fine by me as bowhunting is hugely populer here !

Our woods are fairly maxed out over here when it comes to avalible stalking, compition is pretty feirce and permissions are usually defended. I'm pretty sure it is not the same story over the pond in Canada? Maybe if there was woodland where anybody could go stalking then Bowhunting may have been a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Lets not get into who's the worst offender regarding who wounds more than the other, there was a thread on here not to terribly long ago that fairly dragged on with neither side really making head way.

I think what red dot is say is that he see's no place for bow hunting here in the UK, I presonnally don't see a problem with it. BUT I really doubt it will catch on up around me, I don't think many people will be happy with it either. And currently what is to stop some half wit buying a bow and arrow and going out and just having a go? Atleast with current UK stalking there is a requirement to prove to the rozzers that you are of a sound frame of mind and competent enough to hold a FAC , as distinct to being a recless cowboy.

aliS

I have been bowhunting for well over 30 years, also i have the following-:

.22 rifle x 4
    .222 x 1
    .303 x 2 (a old SMLE .303 and just purchased a Ruger no1 .303)
    .308 x 1
    and an U/O Shotgun

So i am the last to put up "who's the worst scenario", i was just showing how things could go south, when someone comments on a subject they know nothing or don't want to know about..

We have to pass a shooters test over here, then get a Game licence for Deer.,duck and Quail every year, Join an association, or have a good reason to own said firearms, also with bowhunting pass a bowhunters proficiency test, this includes a written test and accuracy test, ( with the Australian Bowhunters association), on passing you then have $10Million public liability insurance cover, also much the same cover with the firearms side...

If people don't want bowhunting in England ,so be it, but at least don't make that decision because you don't think it is a good idea, bowhunting is allowed in many many countries in the world, in the US they have a designated bowhunting season,

Anyway i am off on a Red Deer hunt in two weeks, ( the season opens here in June), I will be bowhunting on this trip,

For those that are interested check this site out, (we have 6000 members)check out the game taken with the bow, also check out the stories etc.

http://www.aussiebowhunter.com/

Good hunting every one-:

Cheers,
    Rick
    Last edited by RickO; 18-05-2011 at 02:51.

Hi Rick,
    You are flogging a dead horse! You will not find much support here.
    There is no call for bow-hunting in the UK and as such the argument is moot.

But if you look at the reasons espoused you can see that behind much of it is a fear of loosing ones FAC, a fear of looking dishonourable in the public eye.
    This right to own a firearm and hunt needs much jumping through hoops and dealing with the administrators (police) of the certificate,
    which you can imagine, is a fraught affair for some. Having recently renewed my certificate, I completely understand how
    some get frustrated in dealing with these administrators.

The other attitude of note is the 'forum clique mentality' with associated sycophants in tow, one starts with 'ethics' progerss to 'humane' then
    the rest join in. Unfortunately what you will find is the modern UK 'shooter', the guy who has the 'gear' but a closed mind, unable to
    really understand that killing is killing and that the desire to dress up 'killing' is the ultimate goal to help them 'square' away the ethics and humanity.

Much effort has been made to get the cert, get the equipment, get the syndicate place, that you find that a certain 'protectionist' mind set ensues.
    There was a bow-hunting 'discussion' (in the legal section) you might want to read that and see for yourself the somewhat duplicitous nature of some of the posts.

Personally I have no problem with bow-hunting and would try my hand without hesitation.

As for an example of an incredible comment (disregarding the xenophobia);

No offence Red-Dot, but really I am scratching my head at that statement!

Watch the flames here...!
    Last edited by j0e_bl0ggs; 18-05-2011 at 07:05. Reason: bold

On a lighter note, If bowhunting was legal still here, being located in Cheshire, I might encounter some resistance from licensing bods, "what, you want a BROADHEAD?, for deer?.... you must have a Bodkin in our opinion!, & you have asked for far too much draw weight!"
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!