Thread: Subsonic Centerfires.

Subsonic Centerfires.

Has anyone had experience with reloading subsonic ammunition for centerfire rifles. I am interested in doing it in a .223rem and a .308.

If so with any success what powder/bullets did you use???

There is data on the Web for subsonic loads for both calibers but if you don't have a rifling twist rate that will stabilize the bullet at low velocity it's not much worth your time. My 30 Whisper had a 1-8 twist and it worked with 210 gr bullets at 1040 fps.~Muir

Bruce Potts did an article on a .308 sub sonic rifle he had built, fully shrouded moddy over short barrel. Can't remember if it was in ST or one of the monthlies, I have a look for it in my Sporting rifles book.

D

Working professionally back in the 90s, for work in parks and 'sensitive' locations, I had a fully moderated .308 built on a mauser 98 action by Potter & Walker. The thing weighed a ton but for shooting from highseats or other static positions it was very effective even with my standard deer legal load.

I tried working up (down?) a loading that would be sub-sonic with the 150gr Nosler BT, but before it got anywhere near the threshold the accuracy went totally to pot and it dropped below the legal limit for deer.

Out of interest, what are you hoping to achieve with both the .308 & .223?

Wouldn't going subsonic with .308 cause ricochet problems as in 22lr?
    Only now you would have 180gn bullet bouncing around the countryside rather than a 40gn.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtandbender View Post
    Has anyone had experience with reloading subsonic ammunition for centerfire rifles. I am interested in doing it in a .223rem and a .308.

If so with any success what powder/bullets did you use???
    whats distance & whats the target ? I have afew 308 loads, under 100yard 1-2" group accurate.

I tried to get my 243 sub sonic - with 8gr Trail Boss behind a cast 87gr pill it was still supersonic. I might try going a bit lower but I don't think much more
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by MrYou View Post
    whats distance & whats the target ? I have afew 308 loads, under 100yard 1-2" group accurate.
    Were they still deer legal?