Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mange in roe deer

Mange in roe deer

In the last few weeks I've shot a lot of Roe deer from various areas. I've notice there has been a number of them with large bald patches which resemble sarcoptic mange rubbed right through to the skin ,I've been doing I bit of research into the subject ,without much success

What I have found this it does effect Stags but not much evidence in Hinds or Juveniles.
    I'm more interested in evidence in Roe Deer as I've seen it present there .

Knowing this to have fatal consequences in other species if not treated has any one found anything similar in there travels ,or found any dead or suffering deer due to this .

Shoot 1 yearling and a old buck last season with mange not seen any this year they were the first I had seen in 30yrs

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    In the last few weeks I've shot a lot of Roe deer from various areas. I've notice there has been a number of them with large bald patches which resemble sarcoptic mange rubbed right through to the skin ,I've been doing I bit of research into the subject ,without much success

What I have found this it does effect Stags but not much evidence in Hinds or Juveniles.

Knowing this to have fatal consequences in other species if not treated has any one found anything similar in there travels ,or found any dead or suffering deer due to this .
    Are you 100% sure it is not just loosing its winter coat and the size of the bald patches is exacerbated by activities such as moving through fences etc..??

I only mention this as I shot a buck last month that looked really bad - I have photo's at home - after consultation with family memebers who are vetenary surgeons the conculsion was it was just the molt plus addisonal abrasion i.e. deer fences. What condition where the bald patches in where they smooth or scabby?

When I shot the above mentioned buck there was a plume of hair disperse as the shot struck.

If it is mange I'd also be interested to know more.

aliS
    Last edited by aliS; 19-05-2011 at 20:06.

Had a buck last week with what appeared to be a similar condition, probably not that far from your area.

Most certainly not moulting the areas were well rubbed out ,it is unusual to see deer in that condition all Down the front of the neck and around the front leg ,if it was moulting it would have been all over the beast ,it was the rubbing that made me think of mange .

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Are you 100% sure it is not just loosing its winter coat and the size of the bald patches is exacerbated by activities such as moving through fences etc..??

I only mention this as I shot a buck last month that looked really bad - I have photo's at home - after consultation with family memebers who are vetenary surgeons the conculsion was it was just the molt plus addisonal abrasion i.e. deer fences. What condition where the bald patches in where they smooth or scabby?

When I shot the above mentioned buck there was a plume of hair disperse as the shot struck.

If it is mange I'd also be interested to know more.

aliS
    I am not 100% sure that it was mange,but certainly looked like it what it was not was molt I have seen enough roe
    changing coat to know what that looks like[ it can look pretty bad] also a couple of foxes been shot in the same area as the buck that appeared to have mange.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Had a buck last week with what appeared to be a similar condition, probably not that far from your area.
    Paisley ?

Mine was north of Inverness, its the only Roe I've shot in the past two months so I can't really say much more. He had clearly been going under a deer fence though mainly evident due to the amount of use of the track that led under the deer fence and the fact I shot him as he was going through the fence.

The bald patches had black areas, so although no hair was coming through the black tips were evident through the skin. I'll see if my other half will upload the pictures for me from my home computer.

I've not spotted it in any of the other Roe I have seen when out in about doe's or bucks.

It was also around the neck and down the front legs.
    Last edited by aliS; 19-05-2011 at 20:25.

Paisley ?

No a bit further west, doon the water

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    I am not 100% sure that it was mange,but certainly looked like it what it was not was molt I have seen enough roe
    changing coat to know what that looks like[ it can look pretty bad] also a couple of foxes been shot in the same area as the buck that appeared to have mange.
    Is mange in Foxes not different to mange in deer?