Mange in roe deer

widows son

In the last few weeks I've shot a lot of Roe deer from various areas. I've notice there has been a number of them with large bald patches which resemble sarcoptic mange rubbed right through to the skin ,I've been doing I bit of research into the subject ,without much success

What I have found this it does effect Stags but not much evidence in Hinds or Juveniles.
I'm more interested in evidence in Roe Deer as I've seen it present there .

Knowing this to have fatal consequences in other species if not treated has any one found anything similar in there travels ,or found any dead or suffering deer due to this .

Shoot 1 yearling and a old buck last season with mange not seen any this year they were the first I had seen in 30yrs

In the last few weeks I've shot a lot of Roe deer from various areas. I've notice there has been a number of them with large bald patches which resemble sarcoptic mange rubbed right through to the skin ,I've been doing I bit of research into the subject ,without much success

What I have found this it does effect Stags but not much evidence in Hinds or Juveniles.

Knowing this to have fatal consequences in other species if not treated has any one found anything similar in there travels ,or found any dead or suffering deer due to this .

Are you 100% sure it is not just loosing its winter coat and the size of the bald patches is exacerbated by activities such as moving through fences etc..??

I only mention this as I shot a buck last month that looked really bad - I have photo's at home - after consultation with family memebers who are vetenary surgeons the conculsion was it was just the molt plus addisonal abrasion i.e. deer fences. What condition where the bald patches in where they smooth or scabby?

When I shot the above mentioned buck there was a plume of hair disperse as the shot struck.

If it is mange I'd also be interested to know more.

aliS

Last edited:

Had a buck last week with what appeared to be a similar condition, probably not that far from your area.

Most certainly not moulting the areas were well rubbed out ,it is unusual to see deer in that condition all Down the front of the neck and around the front leg ,if it was moulting it would have been all over the beast ,it was the rubbing that made me think of mange .

Are you 100% sure it is not just loosing its winter coat and the size of the bald patches is exacerbated by activities such as moving through fences etc..??

I only mention this as I shot a buck last month that looked really bad - I have photo's at home - after consultation with family memebers who are vetenary surgeons the conculsion was it was just the molt plus addisonal abrasion i.e. deer fences. What condition where the bald patches in where they smooth or scabby?

When I shot the above mentioned buck there was a plume of hair disperse as the shot struck.

If it is mange I'd also be interested to know more.

aliS

I am not 100% sure that it was mange,but certainly looked like it what it was not was molt I have seen enough roe
changing coat to know what that looks like[ it can look pretty bad] also a couple of foxes been shot in the same area as the buck that appeared to have mange.

Mine was north of Inverness, its the only Roe I've shot in the past two months so I can't really say much more. He had clearly been going under a deer fence though mainly evident due to the amount of use of the track that led under the deer fence and the fact I shot him as he was going through the fence.

The bald patches had black areas, so although no hair was coming through the black tips were evident through the skin. I'll see if my other half will upload the pictures for me from my home computer.

I've not spotted it in any of the other Roe I have seen when out in about doe's or bucks.

It was also around the neck and down the front legs.

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure that it was mange,but certainly looked like it what it was not was molt I have seen enough roe
changing coat to know what that looks like[ it can look pretty bad] also a couple of foxes been shot in the same area as the buck that appeared to have mange.

Is mange in Foxes not different to mange in deer?

bob could be demodex you can take a sample and send it off p m ben c off this site and he will give you
more info on how to go about it
regards pete .

I've seen a couple in Lancashire. Foxes had it too. One almost bald with very sparse hair. It is the most horrible condition, similar to Scab in sheep. The urge to scratch that itch becomes all consuming to the point where the poor beasts die from starvation. Scab has become a notifiable disease due to the welfare implications for the U.K flock. Mange is probably the only thing other than obvious wounds that would have me break the 'in season and in the light' rule of stalking.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?10659-deer-health-issue

Shot this one last year 50% of hair gone. Took it to vet and they found demodex mites. It was sufficiently rare that an article was published. The vet then sent me a new article where a few cases had now been found in Somerset. I think it is much more common than has been documented as I think an awful lot stalkers ignore it/ decide it is moulting/ decide it is rubbing so it goes unreported.

if you would like to see the articles please pm and I will scan and email them

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?10659-deer-health-issue

Shot this one last year 50% of hair gone. Took it to vet and they found demodex mites. It was sufficiently rare that an article was published. The vet then sent me a new article where a few cases had now been found in Somerset. I think it is much more common than has been documented as I think an awful lot stalkers ignore it/ decide it is moulting/ decide it is rubbing so it goes unreported.

It was me shooting the ones down in Somerset, the first was last august and went a silver medal, the latest one was in early march, some were nearly completely bald. We're waiting for a french expert to have a look at some of the samples. I put up a bit of a thread in the diseases and welfare section.
Small world shootingduckdog!

Apache can also let you know quite a bit about this as he was involved with my 2

I have both articles as PDF files to save anyone scanning anything. PM me an email address.

Fox mange can affect other species (including people) but shouldn't cause an extensive problem.

OP - do you have any pictures?

Interesting

I shot a Roe last month that had rubbed its coat off around its neck and belly. I put it down to moult, hot weather leading to the deer wanting to lose its winter coat quickly.
IMAG0129.jpg

neck.jpg

I'd be interested to hear of any other theories.

I have shot at least two roe that have had bald patches at other times of year and on close inspection they had fungal ringworm infections with the conspicous circles etc. They were both shot in the Angus area a good few years ago and more recently have seen bald patches in Borders roe with skin irritation caused by heavy lice infestations.

Alan

Back