Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 to 7mm08 and Neck Reaming

.308 to 7mm08 and Neck Reaming

Ive just said okay to a M595 in 7mm08 and its coming with some Remmy brass.
    ive got a Forster trimmer and see they do reamer attatchments for them. If I use Lapua .308 and size it down has anyone got any experience of using them?
    Cheers
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

bk

I would suggest buying the best 7mm-08 brass you can afford and don't waste time sizing up or sizing down.

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/ebrowse...*+670+***+9013

This link lists 4 brands.

Secondly, if you size down, you may find the shoulder/neck junction gets a bit thick and stops the loaded round chambering. A very light external neck turn will deal with that, but again it's more work.

Good luck with the new rifle. JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 20-05-2011 at 12:54. Reason: more info. url updated

Thanks, cant wait to give it a go.
    Its coming with some remmy brass so Ill try that to start with. Cant get on the link at work but will look later
    Thanks
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Ive done a bit more reading and learnt that some factory chambers, as they arent as tight on the neck may be okay with the slightly thicker neck from necked down .308.
    Is that right?
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

I necked up .243 and had no problems at all..

bk,

Before laying out on 100 Lapua 308 cases I put a once fired 308 Lapua case through my 7-08 full length resizing die and checked for fit. It was fine, i then made up a dummy round with a 120 Gr B/Tip and that also fitted - I had anticipated the neck might be too thick, having sized it down and then fitting the bullet. I bought the 100 Lapua 308 cases and haven't had any problems at all.

Karl

bk,

Forgot to add - make sure you use 'Imperial Sizing Die Wax' - very sparingly - on the 308 cases to ensure you don't get one stuck in your die!

Karl

Thanks for the replies,
    Ive tried chambering some of the once fired unsized brass that came with the rifle and most are stiff showing scuffs around the edge of the shoulder. Would that indicate they arent once fired in that rife and the headspace is slightly off or the chamber needs a good clean.
    Also whats best to give a chamber a good clean lol
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Just been looking at some of the SAAMI specs here:
    SAAMI

Unlike the 308, the 7-08 is spec'd much tighter:
    308 = .344 chamber or 18 thou per side
    7-08, (284) = .316 chamber or 16 thou per side

So, depending on close to spec the chamber it is, it may or may not be tight using necked down brass...

Also, be wary of necking up 243 brass - Lapua in particular, I've heard many reports of people having problems forming 260 brass from Lapua 243 - basically the shoulder portion is thicker than the neck. I discovered this when putting a 30 degree shoulder onto 243 Lapua brass, the expander ball was very tight on withdrawl and needed lots of neck turning.

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    Thanks for the replies,
    Ive tried chambering some of the once fired unsized brass that came with the rifle and most are stiff showing scuffs around the edge of the shoulder. Would that indicate they arent once fired in that rife and the headspace is slightly off or the chamber needs a good clean.
    Also whats best to give a chamber a good clean lol
    Could well be that the ramp out of the mag is a bit rough and is scoring the shoulder, some rifles do that.
    A good clean won't hurt though. A .45 cal brush should do the trick but be sure to avoid getting muck in the trigger/sear assembly.