Thread: Gamekeepers?

Gamekeepers?

I don't think so but helps illustrate what those who know have been saying all along:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-13456116

Interesting that the BBC footage doesn't show the crow trashing the eggs after winning the scrap with the hawk.

I've seen corvids and birds of prey mobbing each other in the air, but never on the ground.

Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

Very interesting, and as a keeper i have seen a crow can do some good. LOL
    it shows there maybe can be a natural balance??
    joking aside it shows how ruthless these birds(crows) are.
    I have seen them sweep ducklings off the water before.

yes it just goes to show that all the sporting estates and keepers are the ones looking after the countryside and its balance in nature
    webby

Quote Originally Posted by webby954 View Post
    yes it just goes to show that all the sporting estates and keepers are the ones looking after the countryside and its balance in nature
    webby
    How?

A keeper would have shot the crow, therefore possibly creating an overabundance of sparrowhawks?

We forget that there is a consequence to every action, even shooting a crow.

I'd take the path of shooting the crow any day!, too many people who shoot , rough and formal, fail in the duty of vermin control, the sky is black with the bu**ers in too many places, crows magpies & jays are doing more damage to songbird populations, than all the house cats put together!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I'd take the path of shooting the crow any day!, too many people who shoot , rough and formal, fail in the duty of vermin control, the sky is black with the bu**ers in too many places, crows magpies & jays are doing more damage to songbird populations, than all the house cats put together!
    here here +1
    I`m afraid when i die the wife will sell my gear for the price i told her

Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    here here +1
    I hope you realise that I'm playing Devils Advocate here.

BUT

How do you know you are doing good?

The only study I have ever seen that addressed this was by Song Bird Survival, they commissioned Roy Brown [who is a complete muppet and will write whatever his client wants as long as they pay him] and it had nothing but populist language and no real meaning.

What is too many? and how do we assess this?

Most other countries in the world assess bird / animal populations before any culling sporting or otherwise, should we do the same? Basicaly it will come in time through EU and be thrown on us, should we start the ball rolling ourselves before we are hit with crazy legislation.

I have in the past shot stuff, be it a feral goat or a Black grouse[legally] only in time to find that it was the last one shot in the area and they are no longer seen. I'm not lying sleepless with remorse but we should take these things into consideration. Who'd think that the sparrow is in steep decline!

I personally think we need to get a bit more savvy in regards to wildlife management, as we are falling behind the rest of the world, remember most foresters view deer in the way keepers view crows, look how we treat these people.

Old Ronnie Rose used to say about Langholm,

" watch the craw eat the harriers eggs, then shoot the craw"

Lets hope that they both killed themselves in the fight,i havnt got time for both of them.