Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortening .243 Barrel (T3 Hunter)

Shortening .243 Barrel (T3 Hunter)

I have a Tikka T3 Hunter .243 that has been superseded by my Sako 85 .270. I have no intention of getting rid of the .243 and would like to make it into my rifle for Woodlands. I have a A-tec moderator to suit (nice and light weight) rather than carrying on with a T8. But the problem with the A-Tec is that it makes the thing to darn long. I have been using a .222 for Roe but the rifle is old and too short in the stock really unlike the T3 which is, in my eyes, a fantastic gun. I had a bad experience when I had my .222 CZ 527 shortened, the gun went from shooting clover leafs at 100yards to barely being able to hold a 2" group.

How short can I ask the gunsmith to take the barrel without loosing total accuracy? I know the answer will not be set in stone but experience from people reducing the barrel by say as much as 4-6" would be welcomed. The T3 is 2 years old and has maybe fired 2-300rounds, as it should it still shoots very well.

Cheers,

Ali
    Last edited by aliS; 21-05-2011 at 03:12.

Hi ali

I had a sauer 202 in 6.5x55 and i chopped 5 inch of it and it did not change its accuracy one bit all it did do was slow the fps down but none of the deer i shot for 4 years new the difference the speed the bullet was going. But make sure the gunsmith does know how to re-crown it properly.

regards
    chris

I have similar experience to chrisc but in 223 calibre, i chopped my Ruger barrel my the same measurement as the mod i fitted, not sure what the velocity drop is but roe deer and fox go down just the same.

Will have my 243 done in due course although here in Scotland to stay dead on legal you have to be a little cautious with loads etc.

I would like to do the 30.06 but have been advised by some that the standard barrell lenght is better for the big powder burn,

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    ...]I had a bad experience when I had my .222 CZ 527 shortened, the gun went from shooting clover leafs at 100yards to barely being able to hold a 2" group...
    Ali[/FONT]

There is absolutely no connection between barrel length and accuracy. I would suggest that whomever shortened your 222 botched the job and didn't recut the crown properly.

To answer your question, I would have no hesitation in cutting the rifle down to 20". The handling of a 20" rifle with a lightweight mod is a revelation, you will want to give all your rifles the same treatment.

There are any number of smiths who can do a good to fantastic job cutting threading and recrowning, it is pretty basic stuff. My personal choice is Steve Kershaw, but there are no doubt others as good.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I have just had the barrel on my CZ Hornet chopped by 4 inches, no change in accuracy.
    Only change I have noticed is the holdover for 200 yards (100 yard zero), 5 3/4" inches now, rather than the 5 1/4" it was before shortening.

Neil.

As Claret said 20" is a good compromise. I wouldn't go shorter than that for a 243.

I have a tikka t3 laminate stainless and had the barrel shortened to 20", this along with the cmm4 mod makes it ideal and lightweight for a days stalking and the accuracy is still excellent under 1" with factory and about 0.5" with home loads

Had to have a Sako 243 shortened to 18" to remove a pressure bulge, still messing with mounts and bullet weights but shooting cloverleaf at 100 with 75 grain hornady v max, foxing rifle so not worried about too worried about velocity, still need to play at longer ranges might not hit a barn door at 200, will let you know next weekend!!!

I am pleased that other gents on here agree with what i said as on other forums they say it affects the accuracy. Just for the sake of it i know a chap that use to shoot 1000 yard pistol and he used a 308 bolt action single shot action with a 14 inch barrel .

regards
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    I have a tikka t3 laminate stainless and had the barrel shortened to 20", this along with the cmm4 mod makes it ideal and lightweight for a days stalking and the accuracy is still excellent under 1" with factory and about 0.5" with home loads
    Hi, I have a Tikka T3 Hunter In 243 and had the barrel cut to 18"...I use a DM80 overbarrel moderator It shoots as well as the rifle above, and as for FPS well I have never checked though anything hit properly stays down...HTH