Earplugs

I'm thinking about some passive ear plugs that block loud noises but let low levels through. The Sonic IIs look good, but these look even better - Sonic Defenders<sup></sup> <i>Plus</i> from SureFire the Surefire EP4+. Has anyone used these or have any knowledge of them?

As someone with less than 40% hearing left I can tell you that it is essential , as we all know, to wear ear defenders of some sort. The problem is with any type of plug that you do not get anything like the protection that you get from ear muffs because , I am told by those far more quailified than me, that the sound goes through the skin around the ear too and the bits that can become damaged are very close to the surface. An ear muff covers the whole area. I now all the arguments about ear muffs getting in the way and the rest of it but all I know for certain is if I had my time again I would have done far more to protect myself.

Mark

Last edited:
I am told by those far more quailified than me, that the sound goes through the skin around the ear too and the bits that can become damaged are very close to the surface.
Thanks Mark, I hadn't heard this before. I where ear muffs for everything, but now I'm stalking without a mod I find ear muffs are cumbersome, and I can't where my hat. I do value my long term hearing though so maybe I should be rethinking... Another advantage to ear muffs are they are quicker to put on then shoving an ear plug in and waiting for it to expand

I got myself some Bisley ear muffs from Chris Tanner as a little present for my self after useing the non electronic ones. The first time I wore then I kept looking around to see who was there, who was standing on the twigs and I knew without looking where my dog was. I could not believe how alive the woods came so I went for a hearing test and came away with two hearing aids. They are really very good and I am so pleased not to spend every conversation saying what or nodding in the wrong places:) However if I had worn the ear muffs before it may have been better.

Mark

As already said, ear plugs will only protect your hearing to a certain Db level, after that the bones in your inner ear vibrate causing inner ear damage. Some hearing experts suggest the use of ear plugs & Ear muffs for prolonged exposure.

I know where you are coming from, I hate any form of ear protection whilst stalking. One of my mates, who I have been shooting with for near 20 years had Tintinites (sp?) caused by shooting clays with no ear protection, my stalking partner is near deaf in both ears due to full bore shooting with no ear protection. These days I use ear muff's whenever I plan to shoot more than one shot. Clays, decoying and at the range. After over 15 years with no protection, I guess I must have a ear wax build up as I have a slight loss of hearing in my left ear.

John

Last edited:
The problem is with any type of plug that you do not get anything like the protection that you get from ear muffs because , I am told by those far more quailified than me, that the sound goes through the skin around the ear

The problem you may be referring to might be bone conduction. There is a very vocal person posting on the internet who is convinced that this is an issue with small arms but the general opinion of science is that such bone conduction is only an issue with heavy artilery which is, in effect, shaking the ground.

Ear plugs if properly used can offer similar levels of sound reduction to muffs but an issue with ear plugs has been people who don't insert them correctly. In saying that this can also be an issue with muffs when, for example, they are worn on conjunction with glasses.

Hi Harry grey382,

I bought a pair of "Green Leopard" ear plugs at the CLA a few years back and use them for stalking, clays, decoying and the range and find them great. They make a mould of your ear and a week later send you the finished ear plug in whatever colour suits your fancy (mine are bright yellow, makes them easier to find should you drop them). You can get them as blanks or with small metal insert with hole to help you hear external sounds or the Rolls Royce version with electronic sound enhancement. I opted for the middle version, from memory I think they cost about £60 - worth every penny.

Willie

willie, just got some from bushwear( in ear type), with volume and tone control, auto cut off for noise, and pretty good sound enhancement all for £38 not had time to use them yet but will post a review when Ive tried them for a while.
40% hearing loss so need the enhancement. might be able to hear the pheasant when they take off now?
Sinbad

Its worth wearing ear defenders especially if the rifle you use doesnt have a moderator.

Stacey

Back