Recommendations for a stick maker

groach1234

Right well I'd like to get a long crook for use when walking and stalking out on the hill and have just done a quick search on google and they are priced at £150+ for buffalo or rams horn crooks. Now I bought a antler V thumb stick in the lakes a couple of years back for £12 made by a local guy sold in his barber shop but the shot was closed when i was last there. So can anyone recommend me a place to either by a stick off the peg so to speak or have one made that isn't going to cost the world and to be honest a rip off?

George

Right well I'd like to get a long crook for use when walking and stalking out on the hill and have just done a quick search on google and they are priced at £150+ for buffalo or rams horn crooks. Now I bought a antler V thumb stick in the lakes a couple of years back for £12 made by a local guy sold in his barber shop but the shot was closed when i was last there. So can anyone recommend me a place to either by a stick off the peg so to speak or have one made that isn't going to cost the world and to be honest a rip off?

George

Try

www.strathtaysticks.co.uk

Doug is an old pal of mine and although not cheap, it will last you a life time, the stick in picture 10 in the gallery, used to be mine[long story] After a few seasons [and me not looking after it] I broke the shaft [my fault] anyway Doug took it away and repaired it, in the mean time he gave me a rams horn on which I use everyday I'm walking on the hill and I do cherish it.
£150 [pair of Halrika trousers made in China] does seem a lot, but if you were to actualy pay for the time involved and the skill it should really cost into the thousands.

Have a look at Dougs stuff and if you do take the plunge, you will not be disappointed.

2216.jpgMy stick, it is probably my 2nd most cherished items [1st is my Grays which I got for my 21st] , apart from wife & kids of course!!!!! they do come after my H&H and a hand made knife given to me by a Laplander, with a cracking curly birch handle

Back