Thread: anyone got a remedy for Rust pitting on barrel?

anyone got a remedy for Rust pitting on barrel?

Got a bit of pitting on my barrel, whats the best way to remove it without damaging to much

weres the pitting if its inside or on crown dont mess with it get a gunsmith to recrown ,is it stainless or blued ,the only way to get rid of pitting is to cut the steel back with silica paper then re-bead blast or re blue
    theirs no easy way to get rid of it with out cutting back ,as it has put holes in the steel

As Taylor said except that I would stop the rust and live with it. THese kind of fixes tend to take on a life of their own. Once you start, you end up buffing anf polishing the whoe barrel. If you cold blue it, the results are less than sterling.

I know this sound really Hick, but once you get the barrel rust free, why don't you degrease it and hit it with some even coats of hi-temp enamel paint? I did this to my favorite .308 and water literally bead up and to rolls off. It's an easily renewable finish should you scratch it, and I have yet to have anyone comment on the barrel being "painted". It just looks like a factory coat of some kind. It covers imperfections well.~Muir